uPVC door handles

Hello,

I was reading some old posts and saw a recommendation for Hoppe PAS24 door handles with integral cylinder protector. I have just had a new door fitted and on the basis of what I read, I thought I would upgrade the handles.

Unfortunately the holes in my door do not align with the holes in the door handles. There are two bolt holes: one at the top and one at the bottom of the handle to hold the inside and outside handles together. When I try to fit the handle, the cylinder and bottom screw are aligned but the top screw receptacle fouls the door frame: it is a few mm out of alignment with the hole drilled in the door.

Can I enlarge the hole slightly with a file or would this affect the integrity and security of the door?

Avocet cylinders were recommended in the other thread but does anyone know anything about the Squire antisnap cylinders currently on offer from CPC?

prices seem very competitive and Squire is a name I have heard of.

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Locks and handles for uPVC doors (and windows) usually have to come from the same place IME because unlike timber the handle screws go right through the locks. There seems to be no standards. If you have Eurolocks, they have standard cylinders, seems to be the only standard bits. I suspect it is a ploy so you have to come to them for bits.

Reply to
harryagain

Yes and no. Depending on the lock, the lock may also be a factor as the securing bolts may pass through holes in the lock assembly and.

I wouldn't let a "brand" name influence me as many old brand names are associated with cheaper, lower quality products nowadays.

The cylinders you linked to are basic models and, although snap resistant, they do not have a hardened bar at the screw hole i.e. where the retaining screw goes. This means that even when the sacrificial front section is snapped off, it is still possible to break the centre point at the screw hole and remove the cylinder.

Also, the prices quoted seem almost as much as an Avocet. Try

price regardless of size and excellent delivery. (Not connected to them in any way).

Reply to
Ilene D'over

Yes I had to have replacement handles and the fitters I suspect widened one hole and now every few weeks the screws seem to be loose and most of the time the inside handle plate where the screw heads are is able to be moved sideways a little and theis loosens the screws etc. its very irritating!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff