UPVC door - condensation between glass bits

Greetings UK diy

I have a glazed upvc front door here, which is jolly good apart from the fact that condensation has been showing between the glass, gradually getting more and irritating me to the point that I post here.

I think the only way of getting rid of this is to provide some small ventilation hole so that it can breathe properly, or to seal things completely so that there is no gradual ingress of moisture on cold nights. This will entail dismantling the door to a certain extent and I wonder if any reader has experience of this problem, dismantling one of these doors and of fixing it.

All tales of success and/or disaster gratefully received.

Cheers

Reply to
Roger Hunt

Have the glass unit replaced almost impossible to dry the unit out or reseal it,not expensive

Reply to
Alex

Alex wrote

Oh thank-you! I had not considered that, and the old glass will be very useful elsewhere (it is toughened so no cutting presumably). Also, I am pretty confident these things come in relatively standard sizes ...

Cheers!

Reply to
Roger Hunt

Sounds like it's already breathing, hence the condensation. This might be useful

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I don't know where in the country you are but there are loads of double glazing / window doctors in my area that specialize in changing these units.

has some info on what's wrong.

Don't do what I done several years ago and remove one of the panes of glass (living room window) to make it single glazing!! It may cure the condensation but your neighbours will wonder what the hell you are up to when hitting the unit with a great big hammer!!

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Well... the "unit" is just that - it comprises two sheets of glass rigidly (and supposedly airtightedly - but not in your case) bonded together, and realistically you'll not get them apart to recycle the glass.

Standard sizes? Yes and no... uPVC doors and windows are frequently made to order, and that includes the sealed glass unit within. However, that doesn't mean it's necessarily going to be megabucks: my local double-glazing fabricator/supplier will provide any size, 'standard' or not at comparable prices - ie basically if you ask for a 'standard' size they'd just make that up to order anyway.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I got a double glazed UPVC door installed about 10 months ago. 4 units had to go back as they had finger marks on the inside of the sealed unit. I asked one of the fitters if it would be costing the company a lot of money to change these units. He said, although all doors were individually measured and most were a slightly different size from each other, the sealed units were all the same size and it was the UPVC size that changed from door to door. So no doubt some other poor souls got my 3 finger marked ones!

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Reply to
Roger Hunt

Steven Campbell wrote

Bookmarked! Thanks

... but I like hitting things with hammers! I am not too worried about any change to single glazing because I am in the process of fitting a curtain there, on a rail that goes round to the side. Should work OK, have eyed and measured things quite thoroughly enough for me.

Reply to
Roger Hunt