Upvc Door Adjustment

I have a upvc door with hinges the same as the one in the diagram from the bottom of following page:-

3 hinges in total both have 2 allen key adjustments.

My question:-

I presume the key at the bottom of the hinge adjustments the height of the door, please correct me if I'm wrong, but what does the key on the side do? (Position A)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Darren

I've just had one of those doors fitted. The 3 hinges all have allen key adjustments on them. They move the door from left to right. The bottom adjustment is also for left to right movement not height. But in effect if you adjust one hinge in or out you will be lifting the corner of the door if you know what I mean.

Reply to
Hybrid

Thanks for getting back so quickly. That's basically what I wanted to hear.

The builder I had fit the door, is dragging his heels about levelling it up for me, so I can see myself eventually doing it. I just wanted to make sure it was possible, I thought it was, but then questioned why the builder would be messing around, and not actually doing it.

The door is at an angle that needs to be rotated, ie top hinge pulls the door in and bottom hinge pushes the door out. The door is correct in its measurements, ie corner to corner not out of skew, toe heeling etc, but very noticable that it's not hanging straight with the upvc frame, about 1cm out. Everything else with the upvc is aligned perfectly and of the correct measurements, after checking with a spirit-level etc.

Another question:-

Did you have any trouble getting an allen key to fit, it seems a very odd size?

Reply to
Darren

Neither adjustment affects the height of the door on the hinge side - but if you move the top or bottom away from the frame, the angle - and the height of the remote side - will change.

IIRC from when I did mine, the hinge pin can be rotated in an eccentric housing - which has the effect of simultaneously moving the door towards or away from the frame in the plane of the door - and into or out of the room (in the plane perpendicular to the door). The other adjustement (A on your diagram) just moves the door towards or away from the frame in the plane of the door. So you need to adjust the hinge pin first, to get the door in the right in/out position. *Then* adjust A to get it square in the frame, and so the locking bolts all line up ok.

ISTR that I needed 2 different sizes of Allen key for the two adjustments - I forget what size they were, but I had them in my set - or rather in a set of hex bits which fit into a screwdriver-type handle.

Reply to
Roger Mills (aka Set Square)

I got mine direct from the site you posted upvcdoorcompany and they left me an allen key. It is 6mm.

Reply to
Hybrid

Brilliant.

Thanks all for replying.