UPVC DG Hinge Sizes

I'm helping out with some hinge replacement on a top hung UPVC double glazed window but am having trouble with getting the right size.

Toolstation spares are quoted as either 13 or 17mm but neither of these sizes seem to match any dimension on the installed ones

Installed ones are 250mm long so no problem with that size. The outside dim (width) of the fixed metal channel part is 19mm. Width of hinge part on the moving window part is 15.2mm.

Problem I'm trying to sort is an opening gap of 10-12mm all round when window is closed. From inspection it appears that it has never been closed on anything but the ventilation setting and reputedly it has, "never fitted right".

I've uploaded a couple of pics, links below in case it helps. Can anyone see anything wrong in the build eg hinges fixed in wrong position as I'm not sure it was built right in the first place.

Various extra bits of rubber and seals in pics were previous attempts stop the draughts and will be removed when I carry out my fix. Not my windows, not my bodge.

I'd buy both sizes and play around until it fits but it's 30' off the deck so it's a tricky fix.

fred

folded hinge. 17 I think is the most common. All the hinges I've changed fit right up into the corner of the frame, which obviously locates the window correctly. Yours appear to be in some rather haphazard distance from the corner which I suspect is not right. Have you looked at some others in the property ?

Reply to
Andy Cap

In article , Andy Cap writes

Thanks for solving the 13/17mm mystery. They're 4quid a pair at toolstation so a pair of each should cover all eventualities.

It's the only conventionally hinged window in the property, the rest being tilt & turn so I've nothing to compare with and this is my first experience of placcy windows. General quality of install is poor and I'm told there have been numerous small problems with the job so I wouldn't be surprised if corners have been cut.

When I work out a satisfactory working at height arrangement I will make sure that the replacements are mounted right into the corner.

Thanks again.

Reply to
fred