upstairs windows

Whats the current regulations regarding upstairs windows? Do they still have to be tilt and turn even though I have another escape route through a patio door.

Reply to
sintv

On Friday 28 June 2013 16:56 sintv wrote in uk.d-i-y:

According to my BCO, mine had to be "egress" which I assume includes suitably desogned tilt-n-turn windows. However that was my particular house layout - not sure in the general case.

Any reason for tilt as opposed to say casement+transom? I alway though tilt- n-turn were a bit "office".

Reply to
Tim Watts

AFAIK these will do - I've retrofitted my upstairs windows with similar:

but I had to widen the channel for it - a bit onerous but not difficult (AG no good for this!).

Reply to
PeterC

On Friday 28 June 2013 21:48 PeterC wrote in uk.d-i-y:

They're good for modding exising windows - but I assumed the OP was replacing his - in which case you can just buy them with those hinges (they will have a buying option called "egress").

Reply to
Tim Watts

How close is the patio door to the upstairs window?

Same room?

Same floor?

You need to check with BC about the current regs but there is a limit to the number of rooms/passageways you have to traverse to get to the nearest fire exit.

In our last house we had a balcony door off the landing, but still needed escape hinges in one bedroom because you needed to traverse a lobby and another bedroom before you got to the door.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts