'UPS' chip for a low current audio device.

I want to fit a battery backup to a small audio device. Something that will charge a 7.2 volt Ni-Cad pack without damage no matter how long left on and run the device at the same time - and switch over automatically if power fails. Maximum consumption of the device is about 250 mA.

There appear to be 'millions' of supervisory chips out there and I was hoping someone could recommend one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It sounds like a maintained emergency light would do what you want

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Many cheap alarm clocks run on mains but with 9v PP3 backup...?

Reply to
Steve Walker

"Steve Walker" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

My extremely expensive radio alarm, wot loses it's brains if there's a power cut, and we have lots here just outside the M25, runs off a UPS consisting of a Maplin 6V 1.3 ah gel battery and a fully automatic charger, about 14 quid the pair.

It runs a lot cooler that the origial wallwart, so if 6V would do, it's an easy solution

mike

Reply to
mike

You dont need a chip to do that, just a trickle charger.

When it comes to recommending ICs, I'd definitely recommend sci.electronics,.design.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

A PP3 wouldn't last long enough - but I want a re-chargeable anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just a bit too big for what I want.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The SAB module from a burglar alarm bell will do the job, usually costs under a tenner.

Rgds

Andy R

Reply to
Andy R