Upright Hoovers and Dysons

Is it just me - or do others feel that the cleaner seems to lift the pile of the carpet better when pulled backwards? Is there an opportunity to improve the design to make them as good on the "push"?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Perhaps because the pile isn't then being flattened by the weight of the vac itself following the suck.

You could always come up with a design that separates the suck from the weight of the vac...?

Reply to
Adrian

It's long surprised me that uprights have one brush going in one direction rather than two, one running each direction.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Sssh. patent office that way >>>

Reply to
Graham.

It probably depends on the construction of the carpet. Most of the movement goes away after a few people have walked on it after all.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Direction of rotation of the brush/beater bar and the lay of the carpet pile.

Why? Surely you push and pull the cleaner over the carpet.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's a throw back to the days when the brush was driven by a central belt, so you had to overlap. Modern uprights have a side belt so you can use them like a lawnmower.

Reply to
David Lang

It is an electric machine - I should be able to walk along pushing it in front of me. Extra effort is needed to overcome the momentum if you push and pull with a scrubbing action. Perhaps an old habit but it really shouldn't be needed.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I have a vision of long rooms with no furniture in the way, not like my home at all:-)

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Agree, there is minimalist and nothing... Hoovering like cutting the grass, I can't see how you get the headlands for turning.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My brother simply stood the tractor on its rear wheels (long time ago - Ford

5000 and 5-furrow plough) span round whilst turning the plough over.

For the nice clear room, you need a 5-head reversible hoover, robotic of course.

Reply to
PeterC