Upgrading main fuse

I am installing an electric shower and am wondering about the total house electrical load. If we turn on all possible appliances at once it will come to about 26kW.

The main fuse is only 80Amp so I guess I need the electricity board to put in a bigger one (125 Amp?). What I'm wondering is whether this will be possible with the existing electrical supply cable, which doesn't look very big - it is only about 15mm diameter where it comes out of the ground and into the house. If it needs upgrading, how much does it tend to cost?

Thanks Roger

Reply to
Roger Moss

I've never come across a 125amp main fuse. The biggest I have seen is

100amp. My fuse is 60amp, and I paid Central Networks about 1.5k to upgrade my supply a couple of years ago - still no sign of them...

Have you considered 3-phase?

tom.harrigan

On 8 Apr 2007 04:13:24 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com mused:

Just because you've only seen 100A doesn't ean that it is the biggest.

Totally unneccesary, if you don't actually know anything about electrics then don't reply, or qualify your answer with a line that says you know nothing.

The OP seems to be forgetting about diversity. Basically, how likely is it that you will actually have absolutely everything switched on full blast at once? If I measured al the appliances in this house I'd get to about 300A or so IIRC.

Unless your shower is a 20kW model then I doubt you'll see any problems.

Reply to
Lurch

Yes, but you're very unlikely to turn on all the possible appliances at once.

I think 100A is the maximum for ordinary installations.

If it needs a new cable from the street mains, loadsamoney. On the other hand, they might just need to change the fuse.

You probably don't need to, unless you seriously are expecting a high continuous load, if your existing supply is 80A. If it were an old supply at 60A I would be a bit more thoughtful.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The usual answer is that you never do have all appliances on at once.

The normal procedure is to stay with what you have, and if it blows get the leccy board to uprate to the maximum the incoming cables will allow.

In general that will be 100A in my (limited) experience. YMMV

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have you thought about contacting them and asking for your £20 missed appointment compensation?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On 8 Apr, 12:17, Lurch spewed:

I can't argue with that. Perhaps you could let us all know which local distribution company installs fuses >100A?

I beg your pardon!! I will reply to whomever I choose, you cheeky little sod!

So far we have learned that just because I haven't seen a main fuse

phase is totally unnecessary. I'll admit the 3-phase quip at the end was meant more as an opportunity for ammusement tinged with a hint of innevitability. As domestic demand increases, it's an economically viable possibility. It would also mean that 60amp per phase would be enough.

It depends where you are. If you really need a lot of power, and you have to pay for a "reconnection" as I have, then getting 3-phase supply would certainly future-poof your investment. You don't have to use all the phases!

Sorry I missed the bit where the OP said absolutely everything would be switched on. When the OP referred to appliances I assumed that is what was meant. You claim to have >70kW of appliances!!! No wonder the earth is warming! As you are the expert and I know nothing, perhaps you could suggest what diversity the OP should apply? I'd be interested in your expert opinion.

On the other hand, the chances are that unless the OP has a very old supply, a phonecall to the local distributer could quickly get his meter tails upgraded to 25mm if necessary and a 100Amp main fuse fitted. Then he could switch almost all of his appliances on, and maybe even turn on some lights.

Tom

Reply to
tom.harrigan

In message , Roger Moss writes

Two words. "Diversity factor" where although the total load could seem to exceed the rating of the supply, the chance of them all being on simultaneously for a prolonged length of time is so low that there is no problem.

If you do find that the electricity boards mains fuse fails repeatedly then I'm sure they will take the appropriate action to upgrade your supply.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

Either tell you to reduce your load, or if the incoming cable isn't large enough to support what you're asking for, to pay for a larger incomer.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

The rule (at least used to be) 100A max for a single phase supply. After that, you had to go to 3-phase supply. If 3 x 100A was not enough, then obviously a 3-phase supply could be more than 100A per phase.

This rule seems to be very similar across much of EU, except the single phase supply limit varies. In some countries it's as low as

20A, so most people have 3-phase.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for the tip! In Feb. I phoned up to say that the delay had gone beyond a joke, and asked if as a temporary measure they could relocate my meter/supply so I could proceed with some building works. In March I contacted the contractor they use, and he claimed to know nothing about the job. I'll phone again on Tuesday....

Tom

Reply to
tom.harrigan

Don't forget to check if you should also be getting additional=20 compensation because *they failed to tell you* you were due some in=20 the first place...

I'm not sure if this applies to missed appointments, but I only have=20 old Guaranteed Standards documentation to hand (from 2003) here:

date was when I last downloaded a copy - I think it's gotten=20 harder to find this particular doc since)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 10:36:19 +0100, Colin Wilson mused:

If you Google for central networks "Guaranteed Standards", you get various guaranteed standards and associated documents, and all of the ones I read mentioned the £20 for missed appointments, some generic, some explicitly mentioning Central Networks.

Reply to
Lurch

In message , Colin Wilson writes

Maybe:-

Bill

Andrew Gabriel said the following on 08/04/2007 21:51:

Just a thought, but seeing as both of the UK manufacturers of house service cut-outs and suppliers of BS1361 fuses only provide product up to 100A rating, it would seem that you would not normally get a single phase domestic supply in excess of 100A.

Rumble

Nice one - that's a newer revision of the version I had (which also incorporated gas standards of service at the time)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

The enquiry has to be made via the supplier and not the distribution network operator (DNO). A communication nightmare usually begins at that point.

Meter tails are the consumer's property and responsibility. Neither the DNO nor the meter operating company will touch them.

Only if the service cable and supply network are adequate. Otherwise the cost of upgrading may be substantial.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Not all the time - we take cutout change requests direct as a DNO.

We normally bat these in the direction of the meter operator c/o their supplier, the customer being told to ask for an isolator to be fitted.

They don't often come back unless they've forgotten their lines ;-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

A few months ago my supplier (meter operator) arranged with me for a meter change by the DNO (NEDL)(well, CE Electric, I suppose). Why do they always have to have complicated company ownership arrangements?

When confirming the date of change I asked them (well in advance) if they would take the opportunity to arrange to fit an isolator (there's loads of room in the Permali box to fit it), but they totally ignored my request.

Since then, I've changed my supplier (not really for that reason!)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

You can blame the government for that, wanting to make every part of every division "competitive"

Reply to
Colin Wilson