Upgrade to a Condensing boiler - yes or no?

Aside from my other post re. repairing existing boiler. I am tempted by the higher efficiencies of the condensing boilers but are there hidden problems in upgrading an existing installation. I do not need a combined boiler - I have HW cylinder and pump / valves. Concerns I have are -: Cleanliness of existing system - any prerequisites? Will existing rads be ok - presuming that water temp is lower???? TIA. Rob
Thanks - very informative.
One point on the modulation - I have an external pump and valves .. should I go for a boiler with internal pump so the boiler can vary it as needed .. I presume that using the existing pump will not allow full control over the flow by the boiler other than on / off.
So many boiler options .. Ideal Icos is on the short list

Have it flushed out. Put in flushing agent before scrapping it. Flush with fresh water about three times.

Some modern modulating condensing boilers are designed for existing 80C temp installations. It modulates to suit. If it needs full 80C it gives it. Most of the time it will be on part load
If you buy a boiler which modulates the internal pump, then just remove the existing remote pump. Simple.

Andy Hall wrote:

I vote this goes in a condensing boilers FAQ.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:44:55 +0100, Ed Sirett

It has come up a few times, hasn't it.
Maybe if Phil is reading, he could pick this up.
Also, I think this is closely allied to your sealed system FAQ and it would be worth having that or a pointer to it as well.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

When yours is up, we can add xref links. The only thing I feel called to query in the above was...

This is not the province of condensing boilers per se. Firstly modern non-condensing boilers can and do modulate and there control systems exploit this. The difference is that by using forced premix burners (cf atmospheric burners), they can modulate over a deeper range.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
(robf) wrote:

making
conventional
20
of
but
and
is
provide
pre-mix burners are used in all boilers.

(robf) wrote:

tempted
there
lower????
is
ideally
at
flush
work
expansion
changing
through
supply
54
though
radiators
boiler
of
82
*rate*
below
(by
is
output
up
30
may
degrees
it
running
could
was
it
(by
is
My point is that they are not particular to condensing boilers, although most are in condensing boilers. The Ideal Response has a pre-mix burners yet is not a condenser.

(robf) wrote:

I bit of work required though.

Approximately pH4, and metal pipe can't be used.

Heat exchangers can also be cylindrical like the Econox/Spiranox burner/heat exchanger.

This does not necessarily mean that no cleaning is needed in the burner/heat exchanger chamber. The manufacturer's instructions should be followed.

With weather compensation it may well also start at part load.

That is irrelevant since this is a UK group.

That depends on what the manufacturer offers or specifies.

The objective was a simple and concise piece which covers most of the salient points without introducing irrelevancies. One or two of your points may be useful, once the spelling and grammar are corrected, but that is all. The intent was not to make this into a diatribe about peripheral issues.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
(robf) wrote:

tempted
ideally
work
making
supply
though
conventional
boiler
20
boilers
extra
That was not implied. The heat exchanger does not require cleaning as stated.

As always.

of
below
(by
fixed
is
output
but
and
is
running
That is merely another level of control and not necessarily directly aplicable to a condesning boiler. A good compensator will start on full heat until the building is up to temp. A boost function.

provide
could
return.
It gives a good indication of the way matters are moving.

plastic
just
This is great advantage and it was not mentioned at all.

Your so-called FAQable piece was sadly lacking. Now you know.

Like compensators?

Is there anything else that is sensible and relevant that you want to add? I've included some of your points (e.g. flexibility of flue systems and modes of operation) as well as Ed's.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
wrote:> >> The intent was not to make this into a

Show us the draft.