Updating CH boiler/CH system

I have an old boiler (gravity system)I want to change and also update the system to fully pumped. I have read the 'Gravity HW/Pumped Heating - Need Help' thread with interest as I have a similar system. The S-Plan system looks good but I have a couple of things I am unclear about and would like answered before deciding.

If I instal a Potterton Kingfisher boiler it has a manual reset overheat cutout and from the thread I understand that the cold feed from the F & E can be teed into the Vent and both connected into the 'flow' from the boiler? (My feed and vent are both at the cylinder location)

If I instal the pump at the boiler before the HW & CH pipes split, instal a 2-port valve in the CH flow pipe at the boiler position and a

2-port valve in the HW circuit either after the vent take off at the cylinder or in the HW return pipe at the boiler location, is this feasible? The pump would be in the circuit between the boiler and vent pipe. Is the pump classed as a valve and therefore interrupting the path between boiler and vent?
Reply to
John Cooke

Personally, if I had a system with a manual reset cutout, I would be looking to convert the primary system to sealed pressurised operation. It is far simpler to debug. Kits of the parts needed can be had for peanuts and you get to free up space in the loft where the tank was.

You just need to check that the boiler allows sealed pressurised operation. Unfortunately, "Kingfisher" isn't particularly specific about Potterton's range of boilers, it being almost a generic name for their entire floorstanding traditional boiler range for the last 30+ years. However, my mother definitely has one on a sealed system, so at least some of them are suitable, and I would suspect that yours was, given the overheat cutout.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Many thanks for your reply Christian. I do not want to instal a pressurised system at this time, my system is 30 years old now and I could have leak problems which I do not want the aggro of. The boiler I was interested in is the Kingfisher Mf 50L with fanned flue. John

Reply to
John Cooke

I suppose my opinion on the matter is that if it leaks when you pressurise it all the better. The leak was going to happen sooner rather than later anyway, so it might as well come when you are actively looking for leaks and have your plumbing gear out and ready, rather than when you're on holiday and have a system that has unlimited automatic replenishment of water.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle