(Update) - Visible join on Kitchen Ceiling....

Currenlty doing up my old council semi and have stripped the Kitchen out in

> preperation for the Plasterer arriving on Monday to skim coat the walls. > Problem I have is the ceiling...... it will not be skimmed along with the > walls and there is quite clearly visible tape from where the plasterboard > was joined originally > > See picture -
> What would you recommend the best solution to rectify this? Arranging and > paying for the ceiling to be skimmed seems excessive, would it be possible > to remove the tape and use a filler with flexibility then smooth it off and > repaint? > > Although it may not look it in the picture, the rest of the ceiling is > smooth, it's just the couple of lines of tape which are visible that cause > the problem > > Any advice is appreciated > > Jonni > > PS: Incidentallly - I am also considering the 2 day plastering course > offered by these guys - any comments? > >
>1) Just wanted to update after receiving advice on above. Plasteter arrived

a skimmed all walls as planned (paid for by local authority). While he was on site I took the opportunity to ask him if he wanted to 'do' the ceiling (see photo link above). He agreed to strap & sheet then skim - £60 materials £80 labour.

2) Now that the kitchen walls are drying and turning lighter I am noticing some trowel marks and small indentaions, not huge but certainly still noticable I think when coated in paint..........- sorry if I'm being overly fussy it that quite normal for a skimmed wall? - I have to say the majority is nice and smooth (read very smooth) and the beading placed over my old rounded corners is fantastic....... the trovel marks are noticable enough for me to think about buying some ready mix plaster and 'filling them' here and there..... Any thoughts?? 3) How long should I now wait before painitng these walls? what should I use for the first coat?...... I've heard talk of diluted emulsion? 4) I've also arranged for him to come and skim my living room - £300 - 4.2m x 3.2m room, which I thought was reasonable

Just finish by saying...... the skim coat has transformed my kitchen!!...... Any plasterers out there give yourself a pat on the back from me! and keep up the good work.

Jonni

Reply to
jonni

Pull the tape off and bin it. Use a fine surface filler to fill the crack slightly proud and lightly sand smooth. (What I would do, for what it's worth)

Reply to
EricP

What is "strap & sheet" please?

Reply to
Cycle

In message , jonni writes

Wouldn't bother with ready mixed plaster, a bit of polyfilla will do the job fine.

For a skimmed wall a few days is enough - once it looks dry. I use diluted white emulsion (about 20-25%) for the initial coat. you can get stuff like Dulux Supermatt for freshly plastered wall, but IME that isn't necessary for a skim coat.

Yep sounds ok, I've paid a similar price for our rooms.

Yep, it makes the world of difference - we've ended up doing nearly all the rooms in our house - smooth walls, and ceilings, crisp corners luverly.

Reply to
chris French

What materials is he using!? I bought a bag of plaster tonight for just over

3 quid, and plasterboard is only a few quid a sheet isnt it?

Tea, biscuits, 4 large bags of sugar...

ISTR materials for skimming two of my rooms came to around £50.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Wait a couple of weeks. Ensure that the colour has changed to dry. A simple skim should do this in a couple of days.

Seal using white Dulux Trade Supermatt thinned 25% water, 75% paint. Then paint using your chosen colour Dulux Trade Supermatt. 2 coats.

Ensure it is really Supermatt, rather than standard Vinyl emulsion.

Use a roller. Cover everything in sheets, the thinned stuff will splash.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In message , Christian McArdle writes

AIUI Supermatt is really intended for fresh plaster that hasn't had time to fully dry out.

Certainly on all the walls and ceilings we have had skimmed (most of them now) I've just used a diluted standard vinyl matt emulsion - normally Dulux Trade and have had no problems some rooms been decorated about 5 years now.

Reply to
chris French

It is also suitable as a general purpose emulsion. It doesn't actually require the plaster to be wet. However, it does take the risk out of the equation if the plaster skim really hasn't dried out yet. It is available in the full range of colours, too. Except for white and magnolia, it is generally mixed to order in the shop.

Obviously, just doing a skim is less risky that the full bonding and you will probably get away with using a standard emulsion if you leave it long enough, but you might as well use the Supermatt just in case. It isn't grossly expensive, or anything.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Think that's trade talk for fix wooden frame and plasterboard it.

Jonni

Reply to
jonni

Thank you.