Unvented installation

I'd like to hear from anybody who has done a diy install on an unvented system and then got the local building inspector to approve the work.

The recent ammendments to the regulations appear to permit this. Can anyone state categorically that this is so?

thanks

Nick

Reply to
Nicknoxx

I had a look at the actual legislation/approved documents for this recently and found that they have a somewhat stricter deinition of "competent" than other similar regulations, but it still wasn't black and white to my untrained (legally speaking) eyes.

If it was myself, I would approach the building control department and see if they are willing to proceed and follow their advice. Actually, if it were me, I'd do no such thing, as I was in exactly the same position as you, but decided to install a DPS Pandora instead, that doesn't require G3 approval (just L, which doesn't require specific qualifications).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Well, yes and no. I did a DIY install of an unvented HW cylinder (assuming that's what you mean) but I did not seek approval.

a) I know I did it "by the book", and tested it properly "by the book". I used a Telford Tornado - this has excellent instructions, and Telford were very helpful indeed. b) we are intending to stay in the property for many years (5 so far,

4 of them with the unvented cylinder) so are hoping that by the time we sell no one would care if it had a certificate. c) that if we do sell, we have a choice of a retrospective regularisation certificate if the solicitor demands it, or replacing with a standard vented unit if for some reason we can't get a certificate. The work involved in replacing the cylinder is minimal (in my case).

That's the theory anyway - ask me if/when we come to sell whether it works out like that :-)

Tim Hardisty. Remove HAT before replying

Reply to
Tim Hardisty

You don't need to replace the cylinder, just have it inspected by a BBA approved fitter.

Reply to
IMM

Good point - although from what I can gather BBA approved fitters are few and far between, and charge the earth!

Whatever - my main point is that we'll deal with it at the time of sale, if it's an issue to the purchaser.

I was happy to install the unit, without BBA inspection or regs approval, as I trusted myself as competant.

YMMV. Tim Hardisty. Remove HAT before replying

Reply to
Tim Hardisty

In fact the notes to the Building Regulations refer to IoP plumbers with a specific training approval and these are more readily available.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Must be cheaper than having to replace a cylinder.

Reply to
IMM

Probably! Doubt if I'd get much change out of £200 for a cylinder, header tank, pipework etc.

Tim Hardisty. Remove HAT before replying

Reply to
Tim Hardisty

Yeah, and your purchasers aren't going to be impressed with your shower afterwards, either.

Christian.

(Of course, if you can use the decent system in the new house, it might still make sense).

Reply to
Christian McArdle