Unvented cylinder required

Hi,

Any suggestions where to get a replacement 210 L unvented cylinder? Yes I know that I will have to get a propper plumber in to fit it...

Thanks

Reply to
James Salisbury

Get your self a thermal store or heat bank. Don't bother with an unvented cylinder.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I'm interested to know how such an expensive piece of kit failed. What was the make and model so I can avoid it?

Most are high quality stainless steel pressure vessels.

In a hurry is the difficult aspect here. Even the bigger PM's tend to order such expensive items in to order.

Most can get you one in a day or two.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Most are not. Most are glas lined mild steel. There are lots of copper ones around too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Googl megaflo(w)

Pick a decent stainless one

Target price sub £700.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The one I ordred for a mate (online) took 3 days to be shipped direct.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is an orginal 210L Tribune from 1991, it looks like it has started to weep somewhere.....

I am looking at either the Stanton Plus 210L, the mega flow, albion or ariston. I think I may go for the Albion, any negative comments?

Thanks

Reply to
James Salisbury

Yes. Avoid unvented cylinders. They require an annual service, which costs. No service no insurance claim. They can do this:

can take down the side of a house.

Use a vented thermal store or heat bank. Cannot explode and gives mains pressure hot water. Use an "integrated" store, DHW & CH. The CH can then run off it and prevent inefficient boiler cycling and have TRVs on all rads using a Grundfos Alpha pump. A much better option all around and costs about the same, if less.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The Megaflow has a baffle system to maintain air volume, the others use a pressure vessel. Presents different maintenance issues. Based on my boiler experience I have little confidence in pressure vessel longevity and will go for a Megaflo when my Tribune Premier fails. That said the TP pressure vessel has not required re-pressurising in over ten years.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

They use an external expansion vessel. This is a plus and a minus, plus you don't have to renew the air bubble from time to time, minus is that if it goes wrong you will need to replace it (c. £50).

MegaFlow are the market leaders.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Not really. You can simply pump them up again - mostly.

A LOT of companies call their pressurized cylinders megaflo or megaflow.

So be warned.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Only once have I come across an unvented cylinder leaking and I needed to replace it. I replaced it with an Albion Mainsflow. I didn't need to have an unvented ticket to fit it. They are well priced and probably cheaper than an unvented cylinder.

best of luck

Reply to
timegoesby

IME mostly not. When then fail it's the diaphragm or some leakage which means that pumping up will only be a temporary fix. Having said that there is no reason why they shouldn't last 20 years.

Indeed so.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

How much should I pay, I am near Oxford. The plumber wants £1600 does this sound about right?

Reply to
James Salisbury

Installed perhaps. Bare around £600-800

Reply to