unusual looking lighting circuit cable

Just moved into a 1900 3 flr house in West Yorks. We are renovating the top floor first and I am uprating the electrics. In the course of checking out the cables under the boards I found the 1st floor lighting circuit appears to consist of one-core cables. It all appears recent enough and is the same grey and age as the 2.5mm ring circuit stuff that's there too. Is it a bodge?

tia

Antony

Reply to
Antony

It's how it used to be done years ago. Provided the cable has two sheaths

- which it probably has being grey - I can't see the problem. How have they done the earths?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

AFAIK single cables are designed to be used in conduit. Maybe someone had a cheap source from his place of work :-) probably ok ...

Reply to
BillV

On 20 Jul 2004 13:52:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@rbi.co.uk (Antony) strung together this:

Probably not.

Reply to
Lurch

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:18:59 +0100, "BillV" strung together this:

No, you're thinking of single sheathed cables, 6491X. The OP's cables are probably 6181Y\6241Y, double sheathed, with or without CPC conductor.

Reply to
Lurch

Surely you didn't expect to get away without me having my standard comment on this!

Although common practice, the use of singles (because it usually implies separate routing of neutrals and lives) is deprecated as it interferes with induction loop hearing aids, which is no longer a PC thing to do.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In article , Christian McArdle writes

Does it really though in practice? You would have to be drawing some pretty hefty currents or be standing very close to the cabling to have a noticeable effect.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Do many use an induction loop in a house?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Plenty. There are portable induction loop devices now available for use with telephones and televisions etc. Remember, it may be your neighbour that wishes to use them, rather than yourself. Subjecting your hard of hearing neighbour to relentless 50Hz buzzing might not be considered sociable behaviour.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

They are fitted for people hard of hearing to use a TV/radio, without the whole family and street having to listen in.

The one turn loop you can easily make using sheathed singles creates a field which extends outside the house too, so you can interfere with neighbours' ability to use induction loop systems too. Run a lamp dimmer on such wiring, and the effect is 10 times worse.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

With my experience of induction loops for broadcast use, I'd say that's unlikely. Possibly in a flat, I suppose. But a properly designed induction loop system for audio purposes should notch out 50 and 100 Hz anyway - it's of no use for hearing purposes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:36:32 +0100, "Christian McArdle" strung together this:

If I didn't know better I'd say you were a troll! ;-)

I'm not going to comment, we've been here before....

Reply to
Lurch

Did'nt we have a similar thread a few weeks ago ?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:53:27 +0100, Dave Stanton strung together this:

I think there have been several over the last few months.

Reply to
Lurch