Untimely airconditioning thread

After the many discussions we had over the summer about aircon, I decided to go ahead and install one, in readiness for next summer.

The room is a very modest home office, 3.5x4.5m, with lots of PCs and two people in it most of the time.

I went for a split unit for obvious reasons and I wanted about

2.5-3kW. After talking to a supplier, they managed to convince me that I ought to go for a cheaper generic Chinese unit rather than the Fujitsu which I initially wanted.

Given that the Fujitsu was about £950, and the unit they recommended was only £550 all in, and that it would only be used for say 2 months of the year, I decided to go for the cheaper one. I may end up regretting that, I may not - I don't know.

The unit included all the hoses, multicore cable and brackets for a complete self install. The install was a piece of cake - the hardest part was the 3" hole through the 2' wall.

Once you've installed it, you bleed off a small amount of refrigerant through the system, which flushes out the air. That's it - no vac pump needed.

It's now running fine (there was a minor problem with the main indoor unit fan rubbing on the case, but a small modification fixed that).

I will post if it breaks or anything bad happens.

Reply to
Grunff

What make?

Reply to
IMM

How noisy is the unit? Would you be able to sleep with it on? I'm looking at a similar project for a loft conversion, so the noise factor is important, as the room will be a bedroom.

Also, what are the power requirements? Did you need a seperate feed from your consumer unit, or is it a relatively low consumption?

Finally, the outside unit: I'd be looking to place this reasonably high up on the wall, out of the way: how big and how heavy (ie: easy for one man on a ladder, or bloomin' difficult will do!) is that part?

So many questions - sorry!

Regards Paul

PS: Mind if I ask where you bought from?

Reply to
Paul Boakes

A Haier? We have one of those. It's been totally reliable for 4 years. And it got run more-or-less continuously for most of this summer past.

I'm interested in the answers also. Our current unit is a monbloc and we're thinking of installing a split unit in the bedroom, because the monobloc is too noisy to easily sleep with, and the condensate tank fills up after about 5 hours, waking you up in the middle of the night anyway...

I'd want a split unit that I could take with us when we move, too. There's a reasonably priced HP unit I saw that only has chilled water & power running between the units, so it's easy to disconnect. Anyone know anything about that?

Reply to
Huge

It's called Millenniumair.

Reply to
Grunff

We sleep with a fan on in the summer anyway - so that may prejudice my feelings.

The fan has different speed settings. On medium, it's about the same noise level as our old 3 speed fan on full. So yes, sleeping with it on would be fine.

It's 3kW, so just plugs into the mains.

It's large (~3'x2'x1'), and weighs about 30kg (~60lb). I wouldn't want to carry it up a ladder on my own.

I mounted it at head height on the outside of the house. That was easy.

No problem, that's why I posted.

Reply to
Grunff

Ceiling fans on slow speed are near enough totaly silent and make rooms very comfortable it doesn't take much air movement for this. Though I appreciate that getting a 4' dia ceiling fan into a loft conversion might be a bit problematical...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
Grunff

Ta. I'm looking at the page now.

Reply to
Huge

Simple, heavy insulation and a fan ventilating the place (over the computer equipment is probably best) is what you need. While converting the loft install the extra insulation and ventilation which will be probably a lot less than £550.

Reply to
IMM

You're missing the point - when it's hot, moving air is all well and good, but high humidity means your sweat doesn't evaporate very easily. Aircon will bring the humidity in the room down to a nice low level, making it much more comfortable.

I've worked in both air conditioned and fan cooled environments, and aircon wins hands down.

Reply to
Grunff

A properly design fan cooled office beats air con any day. It requires heavy insulation and correct design of ducting and fans.

Reply to
IMM

Occasionally, I check the articles of yours that my newsreader kills to make sure you're still posting moronic drivel.

Check.

Reply to
Huge

In article , IMM writes

In yer dreams M8!...

Reply to
tony sayer

I refuse to killfile him - far too entertaining.

Reply to
Grunff

Life's too short, though.

Reply to
Huge

Right - that's something else to go on the Christmas list.

Reply to
Paul Boakes

I know what you mean - I colour code all his posts, a lovely orange, so I can read them when I have some time to waste...

Reply to
Grunff

No they don't. They don't cool and are totally inadequate for most of the summer. Have you considered planting geraniums outside? These will produce a 15 degree drop in inside temperature - or so it is claimed. Apparently theu also drop humidity by 40 per cent.

Reply to
Simon Gardner

Really? 15 degrees? I wish someone had told me that before I spent all that money on the aircon...

Reply to
Grunff