the
efficient
around
condensing
the
in the

Les than that at about 35-40%

If all gas boilers were replaced by heat pumps, electricity useage would rocket!!!! Electricity is a very dirty and ineffecient fuel overall. The UKs greenhouse gasses would rocket up.
< snip drivel >

IMM wrote:

Drivel. That is typical of what is installed in 3rd world countries burning coal. Modern sets, especially gas turbones followed by steam turbines driven of the exhaust are easily 50%, and some have reached much better than that in full production.

We are in the process of working with architects to design a new learning resource centre (library :)). One plan put forward is a huge amount of concrete below ground to use as heat store. During the day hot air will blow through it and during the night this heat will be removed.
Sound fun (might be perfectly standard these days I guess). Will be interesting to see how well it copes with 1000 PCs...
Darren

Darren,
It is called an air-core slab. The disadvantage is that nasties may inhabit and mould may grow in the passageways down there. See "The Passive Solar House" by James Kachadorian, in which the air-core slab is central to the design, using it as an return plenum for a forced air system. The system can be used to heat and cool.

Where is this building?

Chatham
Darren

And it's not been vandalised yet?
Is this at the uni ?
--
geoff

:-)
Well, its pretty much a shell at the moment anyway :-)

Hmmm...
Not sure how much I am meant to be saying about this at the moment...
A quick hunt on our website produces:
http://www.kent.ac.uk/studying/why/vision.html
Mind you, that artists impression on there looks nothing like the plans that we are working from (in fact, I'm not entirely sure what this picture is of!!)
The building that may have the concrete block underground is the LRC (old drill hall). An artist impression of the inside of it is on
http://www.gre.ac.uk/pr/pressreleases/927.htm
I'm sure it will all be lovely :-)
Darren

What, and destroy the Drunken Sailor?

Big concrete block !

--
geoff

The Drunken Sailor? Thats the SU bar yes?
If so, then thats in the bottom of the building next door - the pub wil stay AFAIK!

Indeed. Don't know if this plan is stil going ahead - I haven't heard that it has been scrapped...
You a Chatham local then?
Darren

(old
If Chatham is on Mars, then yes he is.

writes

No, son at uni there

It's on the Medway John
--
geoff

that
Maxie, did you sail to Mars on that river?

writes

WTF are you on about you on about you synaptically challenged eejit?
--
geoff

heard
synaptically , is a nice word Maxie. Are you Irish? using the word "eejit".

<snip>
Surely it by the Medway, certainly wasn't floating the last time I was there, although you could say it's under the Medway - what, with that new tunnel....
I'll get my coat ! :~)

So what are you on?
--
geoff