Untimely airconditioning thread

Page 4 of 8
IMM wrote:

Up to the point at which the inside air temperature is equal to the external, at which point insulation is totally useless.
In fact, at this point, floor insulation - which isolates the floor from the always cooler ground, is, in fact, counter productive.

You mis-typed. "For the several months of the year it is so uncomfortably hot."
I acknowledge you may not have as much heat-generating electronics around as I do. But a ceiling fan is merely better than nothing. It certainly isn't adequate for getting on for half the year. I prefer a temperature of 21 or lower. Air con is a must. I wouldn't be without it.
writes

Give it a few years and you might not have much choice
--
geoff

I already have the choice. I choose to exercise it.
Simon Gardner wrote:

I prefer a temperature of 21C or higher frankly.
30C is getting a bit on the warm side for me if its humid, 40C if it isn't. My limits are around 40C humid 50C not.

24-25 about 40 RH is my limit for productivity. Ain't human variation wonderful?
Simon Gardner wrote:

I agree, if you are talking about UK productivity. We bustle around a lot.
In hot countrues, peiple learn to adopt a plodding style, which is just as productive. They walk slowly, arms away from their sides and legs slightly apart, to let air circulate. Its a different way of life.

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 16:48:23 +0000, 666 snipped-for-privacy@hack.powernet[dot]co[dot]uk (Simon Gardner) wrote:

I'll acknowledge it's in that ballpark but they start at less than 20 quid and can be fitted in place of a light fitting.

It's because you've become accustomed to having it. ;-)
Having said all that my "home office" is really my car and I always get a car with aircon. Oddly it does not seem to affect the fuel consumption at all.
DG

of
Do some tests and the a/c uses about 10% more fuel. You get nothing for nothing.

[25 lines snipped]

Providing you're actually moving, rather than sat in traffic, the improved aerodynamics engendered by having the windows wound up pays for the increased fuel consumption caused by the aircon.
Besides, I can afford it, so I don't care. I wouldn't buy a [main] car without aircon, now.

The results I report earlier were with the windows up in both cases.

And I agree with the sentiment even though I'm sure it does cost more per mile to drive with the aircon on. mikej

I wouldn't buy any car without aircon. Nor would I live for long in a house without it.

per
house
Have you seen a doctor? I'm serious. Anyone in this country that can't live in a house without a/c is either:
1) An Eskimo 2) Has health problems of some sort.
The NHS is free, so no excuse.

Yes there is. It's almost worthless.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

On aircon cars that I'd hired in the past it was always very noticable that the engine note on idle changed when the aircon was switched on suggesting that there was a noticeable load being switched in.
Early in the year I tried a Seat something or other that had a dash computer that gave Km per Litre (it wasn't a UK car) averaged over some time this dropped from around 9 to around 7. something when the aircon was switched on. Sorry to be vague but I was only playing with it out of idle curiosity. mikej
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 14:17:32 -0000, "mike.james"

My wife's Ford Escort does that. My last Fiat Ulysse, and my current Toyota Previa don't. This might be something to do with the way the A/c switches on/off (on all time ?) dunno.

Current Previa (Diesel) has fuel consumption display, no change detectable at around 6.7.
DG

When I lived in Indonesia, the air con in my Kijang was good at cutting in just as I was pulling away from traffic lights resulting in an embarrassing stall

--
geoff

derek wrote:

Someone once pointed out that the loss of aerodynamic efficiency ona car with opened windows equalled the losses due to having aircon on.
I do remember switching off the aircon in my old Nissan 200sx, to get
another 15bhp during overtaking...

Ther is alos another effect, when driving in aircon, its so nice that teh urge to rush doesn't come into it as much. One just potters along at a steady 100 instead of 130 and saves even more fuel. On the autobahns of course....:-)
Cars in hot climates do need aircon tho - internal temps can reach well over 50C in even modest sun.

writes

So that's you is it ?

--
geoff

They certainly do

I don't want to be cool, I want to be comfortable.

You thought that was hot ?
--
geoff