Untimely airconditioning thread

Page 3 of 8

Nah, thats the chemicals leaching out of the plastic pipes they use over there.
Oh.... sorry, wrong thread.
Darren - scared to go into his airconditioned machine room incase of serial killers...

Talk about ROFLO.....
You make a village idiot sound like Albert Einstein ! :~(

geoff

If it's a private conversation please take it to email - or did you miss off the smiley ?
IMM wrote:

Errrm - I think you will find that flatulence gas is mostly methane - that's a greenhouse gas certainly - but not ozone depleting...
If you are going to spout nonsense you could at least try to get some basis in scientific fact.
--
Cheers,

John.

IMM wrote:

My God. Is this guy for real? The secret of Myra Hindly is out. She had AIR CONDITIONING!!!
So, overall a/c is dangerous to society at large because:

True. So what? So does youir constant hot air production.

No, its not.

I don't think so.Eating rap food and doing no exercise makes people fat. You are more likley to be active in aircon than not. I know. Ive done both had both.

I challenge you to walk 10 miles in 85% humidity and 40C plus temperatures anyway.

No that was hair conditioner

Try jogging it carrying an inflated inner tube - no don't ask
--
geoff

Bet?
/Morten

into that place - no aircon, the walls are 3 feet thick and the south- west elevation has covered by a well-trained peach tree. This prevents direct sunlight hitting the walls. Remember the landrover trick of fitting a double-skinned roof to vehicles destined for the tropics.
--
Andrew

Grunff wrote:

Jesus H.
YOU try working in a tin topped uninsulated factory unit in Johannesburg, with intenal temperatures goind up top 40C, and the heatsink you left in the sun, measuring 55C BEFORE YOU EVEN SWITCHED IT ON.
I remember complaining to my boss that I could no longer work as my sweat was making the ink run on the circuit I was drawing.
"No problem" he said. "Today we drink beer instead?"
So we did.
Sleeping at night in a tin topped house with no insulation was equally hard.
But possible. Ive been in full humidity 40C + conditions (Mexico), and near Death Valley, been up and about by day peaking around 55C and at night something like 50C without aircon.
And in this country you whinge if it gets over 30C.
Wusses the lot of you.

Have you walked to the North Pole barefoot as well?

Wimps the lots of them!

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

:-)
This isn't a survival exercise you know...
I'm sure we could cope very well without CH - one or two wood stoves would keep enough of the house warm enough through the winter. But we *choose* to have CH because it makes life that little bit more pleasant.
My reasons for installing aircon are very similar. I've survived perfectly well without it for many years, and I'm sure I'd continue to do so. But since there are new two of us working from home, it seemed sensible to spend a little money on something which will ultimately make the summer more pleasant.
--
Grunff

[19 lines snipped]

Hear, hear.
Life is like a shit sandwich. The more bread you have, the less shit you have to eat.
Grunff wrote:

Only kidding Grunff. I can't function below 20C. The other half goes limp above 23C. Balancing the heating system is getting to be a bit of an art form :-)
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

My God! That's exactly what we're like. The eternal battle for control of the bedroom TRV...
The odd thing is, I really think I like my room temperature higher in the winter than I do in the summer. The living room is at about 22C, and that's just right for me at the moment. I suspect that come summertime, the aircon will go on as soon as the temperature creeps above 21C!
Maybe it's just a humidity thing.
--
Grunff

Grunff wrote:

There is a perfectly simple explanation for that, and that is relative humidity. I am not a very fat person really, tho fatter than I was, and I can lose a LOT of heat by sweating - especially if its dry ...women are better padded mostly, and don't. In summer, teh interanl unheated RH is up well above 50%, my fl;oorboards swell, and I feel hot.
In winetr, the air is heated, RH comes down, my floor boards shrink again, and I feel cold.
I can handle dry deser air up to 50C, but tropical rainforest at 40C is subjectively worse.

Yes. IU run the car climate control at about 21C in summer with the sun pouring in, and 22-23C in winter...a good trick in the car is to use aircon and the heater to dry the air out in summer.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

This is rapidly declining into I can stand it hotter than you pi$$ing contest... ;-)

Much depends on what you are acclimatised to... I worked with some students from Oman once - in mid summer when we all though it was uncomfortably hot they, were still wearing jumpers.
Another point to consider - is just because you may be able to function in a 40 deg environment - it is not going to do the reliability of the computer equipment you are working with much good.

Not really - if you don't like the heat / humidity - can use air con to fix it - and accept the implications (cost etc) of using it then what is the problem?
Personally I find once the temperature gets to 30 ish in my office I can no longer work properly on concentrate for long periods, so I become less productive. That costs me money - using air con in those circumstances is not just because I am a wuss (which I freely admit - so what?), it is also economic good sense.
--
Cheers,

John.

Just wait and see then try to outdo each other when stating how poor they were! Which one lived in the shoebox?

writes

--
geoff

A very good and sensible post. If you put in extra insulation the cooling load would be less.