Unswitched neutral for timer switches

Well, it's hardly broadcast quality, but the dealers don't seem to mind.

The arse of doing it has largely put me off. I've run some phone and speaker cables round the outside of the house, but I'd only do it "properly" if it was a new build or major refurb and I could pay someone to do it.

Reply to
Huge

If you get baseband PAL colour out of the far end it can't be too bad.

Were those little sub-matchbox sized devices that MISCO used to sell just baluns then? I always assumed they were active.

Such wiring would be a site more useful than some of the part pee stuff such as the need to have an extractor fan in a bog controlled from a triple pole isolator, and IIAC every utility room having to have an extractor fan (ditto) in it, even if it only houses the boiler

  • washing machine + dryer

DG.

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I did hear of one house purchaser who went in at weekend to fix oval trunking vertically to the walls and into ceiling/loft voids before the plasterers came in. His cunning plan was to locate them with a compass after lowering a magnet on string so he could install extra points or services. I never did hear whether it worked!! Phil

Reply to
Phil B

Cat5 still very useful for networking. Much more reliable, secure, higher speed. If nothing else it will let you put your phone base station where you want it and a wireless access point where it will give the best coverage. As more an more people switch on wireless networks they're likely to get increasingly unreliable.

if it's still running and Keene sell some devices now as well.

All of this is pretty academic though - in a few years time both your music and video is likely to be IP anyway. Look at devices like Slim Devices Squeezebox and AppleTV.

I ran a pair of cat5's (or more) to each room in the current house when we moved in. If i was speccing a new build i'd probably take a pair to every mains power socket - the cable is cheap enough. i'd also look into some forms of ducting - in the living room i've floor hatches that link the tv point to the other side of the room where the audio kit sits to let me pull more cables in future (my initial run left out an IR repeater and i'll need HDMI in future)

Reply to
b33k34