Unstable voltage supply - affecting lighting.

Hence suggestion of trying 15W pygmy, easy to hide in a wiring cupboard or ceiling void, sometimes it just needs some resitive load, sometimes a lot of resitive load...

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

ing helpful he is running out of ideas.

0w-in-line-dimmer.html.

which becomes very evident when the leds are dimmed. The best way I can d escribe it is that the leds look like candle flames. I don't think it is a mains frequency flicker.

lat I can also detect a less pronounced flicker.

Note that block of flats (7 flats in total) does not have a gas supply so all of the heating and cooking is on the electric supply. The leds react fa ster that the halogen lamps so that the intensity changes are more evident.

50 watts (20 downlighters plus led strips).

I have now tried 5 replacement led lamps in one of the rooms. Initial resul ts look promising. The flicker is reduced to the extent that it is not not iceable. I will run them for a while before declaring victory. What I hav e learnt form this thread is that the source of these flicker problems on L EDs is the interaction between the the voltage control done by the dimmer and the separate voltage reduction done by the circuit in the led bulb itse lf. Often even though a particular set-up works it might be "only just" wo rking. Then some small difference can turn that into "only just" not worki ng :-). I think my future approach would be to choose a well regarded bulb and then check with the manufacturer for the dimmer which they recommend. Thanks again to everyone for your contributions

Reply to
mikegibbons500