Unopenable jam jar

In article , Mike Barnes writes

My apologies. I assumed you were referring to the greater amount of grip that can be applied with the dominant hand to the greater surface (i.e. the jar rather than the lid.)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

No need to apologise!

I was thinking, if the OP really wanted to do the world a service, he'd invent the unopenable can of worms.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Reply to
Rick Hughes

That may be the answer - but I'm not convinced. I, and all the people I compete against, have no problems with jars etc. It isn't alignment, we know nothing special.

It's just that many hours of holding onto a rope with high tension in it does a lot for the strength in your hands.

I'm a dinghy sailor; it would be interesting to know if this was true of other sports and professions - for example, do brickies ever get stuck with jars?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

They include academics and research students in scientific disciplines, so I don't think they'll be very impressed with my jam jars in that regard!

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Superglue is accellerated by moisture, so with a lot about may have gone off before you get the lid on, or part way through.

How unopenable do you really need? epoxy is probably good as already suggested, but could you also use a dremel or something to either "key" the glass a little, or even when the lid is on, drill a small hole through the side of the lid, into the glass and pin it?

Reply to
Paul Matthews

Just thinking outside the box a little, if it's supposed to be unopenable, why not just use a tin of beans? I've never been able to screw the lid off of one of those. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I wonder if there are any jars with left-handed threads?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Nice idea.

Funnily enough, yesterday I noticed a left-handed pencil sharpener. (Never before realised they exist!)

Partner asked whether you could get left-handed pencils... :-)

Reply to
Rod

Just in case anyone else requires an unopenable jam jar, I made one that so far has satisfactorily resisted all attempts to unscrew it.

I roughed up the glass rim with sandpaper, and ran some superglue around it. Since that seems to do the job, I haven't felt the need to try any of the more ambitious methods suggested.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

All right, I've got to ask, why would you want an unopenable jam jar?

Reply to
The. Wanderer

To stop people nicking your jam, of course!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

thread in question?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It might no longer be available on someone's news feed.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Ah, ok. I had to reinstall everything on my pc about a couple of weeks ago, and didn't bother downloading more than a 100 or so messages in each group when I was ready, so I missed the earlier part of the thread.

Reply to
The. Wanderer