Unopenable jam jar

Interesting, but is it true? I'd need some convincing that we would contort into a less efficient position when trying to increase effort. I'd be more inclined to concede that it might *look* like it's less efficient.

For any given task (eg. jam jar opening), how would you determing the

*optimum* method and decide what is less efficient?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I'm sure a suitable application of 'ki' would open it anyway :)

Alan

Reply to
ajp

That, or a couple of slaps with a bokken.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Read the question.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thinking about it and being right handed I must admit when faces with such a jar I always tend to try using my left hand as it just seems easier that way. An old plastic container of PVA glue was the last time (not a jar) and I grabbed a pair of pliers in the end to get it undone.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Most people trying to twist open a tight container will hold it towards their dominant side, a little below shoulder height, twisting their spine, neck and shoulders.

I am convinced that the correct place is in one's centre, at about hip height, and that the twisting movement required can be generated at the hips.

Funnily enough, AJP over there

Reply to
D.M. Procida

But with a jam jar you can just as easily open it by twisting the jar clockwise with the right hand, rather than twisting the lid anti- clockwise. Like the Aikido thing, it's all about technique.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

In other words, give it some Nikkyo! Or is it Sankyo??

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Whatever you do one hand is clockwise and the other anticlockwise. AFAICS the important hand is the one on the lid, which is relatively small and awkward to grip. Which is why, for a right hander, the best thing to do is to turn the jar upside down. And stop as soon as you sense the slightest movement!

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Hmmm, what gives you this conviction? Ya see, if I was a betting man and had to choose between what "feels right" or someone's "idea" of what is the most efficient way, I'd plump for what "feels right" most of the time.

How a person holds it may well be dependant on the strength of their "accessory" muscles, i.e. those that are brought into to play as "second line" help so to speak. People will vary in the strength of these muscles and their choice might just be a reflection of the strength these muscles.

If you were to do a study with openable jars (or at least ones that could only be opened with a deal of difficulty), you might be able to show that one technique worked more often than another. Just observing how people attempt to open an unopenable jar doesn't really prove anything other than the fact that different people use different approaches.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I think it's just walking, actually.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

What feels right is learned. What's the right way to hold a pen, use a screwdriver, type on a keyboard, lift sleeping child or open a door?

Except that certain ways of doing things are demonstrably stronger than others.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Also being right handed(*) I pick up jars with my right hand then use my left on the lid. I take it this is what the OP means by using the left hand to open a jar? With a really recalcitrant jar I'll try with both ways round.

As for the OPs qeustion, I'd go the Araldite route but degrease the jar and lid well first. Hot melt would set too quickly on the cold glass and lid. I guess if you got the jar and lid hot in a low oven then applied the goo you might be able to get it on before it set.

(*) Mostly, knife and fork I'm left handed. Saves all that silly messing about swapping hands with the fork if only using a fork to eat with.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm not really arguing with that but your test won't prove that, will it? If the jar can't be opened, how do you prove that one way is better than another?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

The demonstration is just to make the Aikido students aware of how they (and other people) use their bodies, even in ordinary everyday activities, and to invite them to think about it.

To say "conviction" was putting it too strongly. It's a strong hunch.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

In article , Mike Barnes writes

In other words, hold the lid and twist the jar. I've told people having trouble pulling corks out of bottles to hold the cork and twist the bottle. They are so surprised when it works.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

You put a strain gauge and recorder in the jar?

Getting it out is left as an exercise for the reader.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Atemi! Atemi is 99% of Aikido. Oh, you wanted the pickles without broken glass? So sorry...

I'd roughen the glass threads with sandpaper or a whetstone, degrease with alcohol, and use an epoxy. And a jar with a proper thread, not just those four ears bent over, no water or other filling.

And maybe wrap the jar in tape, just in case it does break -- no glass shards on the mat or hand...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I'm not sure I agree with that. You're holding the jar and the lid and you're applying an equal twisting force to each. Until the lid actually moves, any imbalance is imaginary.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Fair enough but it would be so much more useful if you could actually demonstrate one method's superiority over another.

What you really need a a jam jar with adjustable difficultly. Perhaps fit a valve to the lid and suck it down to an adjustable level of vacuum. Then you could clearly demonstrate that one technique would work better than another (and teach your students something about the scientific process).

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie