Unmitigated food disaster

More recently I tried using one at my parent's house. My mom doesn't cook very often, doesn't have many pans and all of the ones she had were in use except for that one. I was heating gravy from a box and once again, it burned.

I should add that I am not one of those people who burns food very often. Once in a while my rice will get too dry and it will stick a little to the pan. I did get rice burned to the bottom of the pan once. And occasionally I will burn a few pieces of popcorn. That has been all in the past probably

20 years or so.

When I was younger I did burn things a few times. I can't remember the particulars now but I do remember using a method that I read about in some book. Cover the burned food with baking powder (quite a bit of it) then water then bring it to a boil. Let cool and most of the time the burned food will scrape right out. Once in a while you'll have to repeat this. This method has never failed me.

Reply to
Julie Bove

I was taught at a very early age that heating a beaker (borosilicate glass) with the aid of a Bunsen burner needed a spreader under it to diffuse the heat and spread it over a larger area . The spreader, as most of you probably know was a 6ins square of wire mesh with a round asbestos patch in the centre. this prevented the flame ( very high temp) impinging directly as a point source on the relatively cold bottom of the beaker with the obvious consequences. Don

Reply to
Donwill

Wire wool puts fine scratches on the surface of stainless steel. If you clean the pan with sodium hyroxide it does not damage the surface and it removes burnt material of all sorts, including porrage.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Do pay attention at the back.

Reply to
Man at B&Q

If the pot boiled dry, how was it the pot's fault?

Reply to
spamtrap1888

I checked. There's a big pot with tab handles (or whatever you call the little ones, a medium-size pot with a long handle, and a small pot with a long handle. All of the pots have lids. They were last used about 30 years ago. Too bad the reviews are so scathing. They don't sound worth saving.

Reply to
Mark Thorson

They are horrid. I had a set of them. I believe they were called "Corningware Visions" Never hated pots as much as I hated them.

Reply to
Janet Wilder

Reply to
Julie Bove

IME the glass had so much thermal inertial that they were uncontrollable

- took forever to heat up and then retained it for far too long after turning the heat off. Like other posters, I found they burnt with regularity and were very hard to clean afterwards.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

No. Caustic not only doesn't remove burnt carbohydate material, it also seems to discolour stainless steel. Although less then hitting it with water when its very hot, does.

I use caustic on dried fats, but not on carbon deposits. Porridge does NOT come off with caustic. Nor does caramelised fruit or sugars..

As far as fine scratches go sod it. Can polish those out with T-cut and a mop if you give a shit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes it does.

Yes it does.