Unmitigated food disaster

Much thinner walls. less likely to crack.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Back in the 1950s, my mother had a Pyrex saucepan, complete with detachable handle. It was used on a gas hob nearly every day for decades. It _was_ sold as a saucepan. Her Pyrex bowls were were not intended for direct heat cooking.

Reply to
S Viemeister

That isn't, however, covered in their bullet points which don't seem to match the reams of stuff below which appear to be on 6pt grey text.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Exactly. It might even have a symbol or warning on the bottom of that bowl that it's not to be used over an open flame.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

Yes.

RTFM

Janet

Reply to
Janet

Absolutely. Never put thick glass on a flame. Did you ever take chem lab? The beakers and such that you place over a bunsen burner are all thin glass.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Pope

The heat stress from applying a flame to a glass bowl is much higher because the high temperature is much higher: 3500F for a methane flame vs 500 at most for the oven.

Pyrex made a "Visions" line of glass saucepans -- try to find one of those.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Um...

Did you ever take

I think the type of glass has more to do with it. Clearly though, pyrex

*bowls* are not designed to be put directly on a flame.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Good luck getting an induction hob to heat glass, which is what the OP was asking about.

Reply to
Nunya Bidnits

I think that was his point.

Reply to
Jean B.

Wow - I remember them!

Reply to
Skipweasel

I have a Pyrex double boiler, that is fine with that kind of heat - but unless you're using laboratory grade material, risky is putting it nicely. You do love living dangerously! I hope you're prepared for some kitchen cleanup and a possible trip to the hospital if you continue your half-witted practice of exposing home grade Pyrex bowls to a flame.

Reply to
sf

The OP was about gas.

Reply to
sf

And if it's "new" Pyrex, don't bother anyway.

Reply to
Skipweasel

I can pick up a set of three handled pots of assorted sizes with lids from that series. I wonder if I should both?

Reply to
Mark Thorson

After having tried just about every pot and pan ever made, I have settled on Stellar stainless steel with aluminium billets in the bases. These work well on gas, electric and the aga, and can be scrubbed clean with wire wool when she burns the porridge (again)

Those, and a few le creuset slow cooking pots are all I use these days,.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Mark Thorson

For decades, everything I cooked came out of my big cast iron pot. A few years ago, I bought a little stainless steel pot which is mostly used for soup and steamed rice. I haven't felt much need for anything else until a few weeks ago when I bought a copper-clad aluminum pan to use for roasting coffee. I haven't used it for that yet, but works great on small batches of sunflower and pumpkin seeds.

Reply to
Mark Thorson

There is a difference between oven proof and flame proof. They are made and tempered differently.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Pass. They are horrid. My daughter gave us a couple of pieces and we tossed one of the pots out in the trash with the burned on boiled potatoes still in it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski