Underfloor heating

Page 1 of 3
I think I'm going to be spending a lot of time on this group over the next few years! Good info so far.
We're refurbing a large (24m2) kitchen which I suspect has a timber joist floor (a laminate floor is currently laid on top and we have not yet investigated but this is most likely - there is a small possibility the floor may be screeded). I want to lay tiles or natural stone of some kind but SWMBO is concerned about it being cold. The heating in the room is all at one end at the moment and it's cold in there anyway so we need to do something different. Naturally i'm interested in underfloor but know little about it.
My thought was for hot water based linked to the existing central heating system which runs off a Keston K130 running sealed CH. A QS friend has been advised that electric is the way to go for retrofits but having such an efficient CH system this seems wrong to me.
I've done a search here and picked up ref's to polypipe and i've contacted them but other ideas would be useful.
AJ
On 2 Dec 2003 03:53:55 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (anthony james) wrote:

We have a slate floor on concrete in our kitchen, conservatory, hallway, cloakroom. It is not cold underfoot at all even with no heating. This is in a reasonably modern house. In an older property with suspended floor or a damp solid floor, the story might be different.

In one sense your friend is right - electric may be easier to install, and for a smaller bathroom area can be a good way to go. For a larger area, it is going to be expensive to run, especially if you want it to provide a substantial amount of heat to the room.
It is certainly possible to do water based UFH, although if the floor is suspended, insulation needs to go underneath with pipework above that - just putting in pipes will lead to a lot of energy wastage. Specific controls are required for UFH pipework, because it needs to be run at a lower temperature than conventional heating. These are readily available, however.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Install an Aga or Rayburn equivalent cooker. Ditch the Microwave and do some real Range cooking . The warmth of a continuous cooker keeps the kitchen at a welcoming temperature and there is then no need for any extra heating at all . Richard.
On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 12:48:53 +0000 (UTC), "Richard"

I would endorse that idea as well.
(He said munching his lunch of Aga toast with Gentlemen's Relish...) :-)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

And for the summer, you can get a nice Swedish girl with a bucket of water and some birch twigs.
On 2 Dec 2003 13:38:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Not a problem.
As far as the Swedish girl is concerned, sauna you than me.....
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Huge wrote:

Nah, just do what we did, and get the aga with teh electric cooker bolted on the side...

So what do you do for flagellation??
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

Better still, install both...

some
at
at
How about ripping out the bathroom and having a tin bath in front of the fire as well.

IMM wrote:

Whatever for? Neither stylish nor comfortable.
Nutcase.

do
kitchen
heating
Duh! If you are going back in time to outmoded yesterdays technology then go all the way.

Neither are farmhouse kitchens or thatched roofs.

Are they outmoded too?

IMM wrote:

On the contrary,they are very comfortable. Style of course, is a matter of taste.

some
at
There is unwelcome extra heating summer tho. Get yourself a proper modern range with modern controls that doesn't sweat the kitchen out in summer.

There's nothing improper about an Aga and the controls are built in.
I'm not going to repeat the same debate that has been had numerous times before because the content and the points haven't either.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Sorry Andy, not wishing to pick you out on a personal level as I'm sure you will understand......
The same sort of comment has been made several times previously with regard to "....do a search on google to find previous comments....etc".
I'm wondering whether it might be appropriate to have a web site (or at least a web page) showing links to appropriate articles, so that the next time someone asks about using a doodah whatsit for their gaga-confangled installation they can be referred to an appropriate resource, rather than be given the brush-off by responding with "search google!"?
Perhaps this "general" idea can be discussed further?
PoP

There is an FAQ, which if many had read they would not be asking the Qs they do.

I think that it would be a good idea. Perhaps we could ask Phil to put up a links page in the FAQ and then when a "regular" thread comes up simply add a pointer to it.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

some
at
A nice solution to a different question: it neither fits the look i want nor my style of cooking. They're large, expensive and don't remove the need for a normal cooker. Some people love them but they're not for me.
AJ
On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 23:05:17 -0000, "Anthony James"

I'd accept large and expensive, but I certainly don't need a "normal" cooker (whatever that is).

That's fair enough.