underfloor heating

I am considering electric u/f heating.How long should I expect it to heat a conservatory 10m2.

Reply to
Kejbrazier

On 21 Nov 2004 19:22:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Kejbrazier) strung together this:

As long as you have it turned on for.....

Reply to
Lurch

Have you experienced this anywhere to be sure you like it?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What, under-floor heating, other than potential running coasts I can't see a disadvantage. Assuming the installation / design is done well.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

The actual heating, not running costs.

I can't stand for long on a heated floor and I know I'm not alone. It seems to 'draw' some people's feet, making them very tired.

Also, a son had it in his council flat years ago and the flat wasn't really warm unless you were close to the floor.

I think it's important to know whether or not you'll like it before investing in something expensive.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

About 65 years.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Come round here Mary,and see what it CAN be like. Except on the very coldest days the floor is not warm, just not cold.

And with proper insulation, its the same temperature throughout the room. You don't even notice the room is heated.

Till you go outside.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Electric underfloor heating can be very nice in a conservatory, particularly with a tiled or stone floor. However, it should not be the only form of heating for several reasons.

  1. It is extremely expensive to run.
  2. A conservatory is so energy inefficient that the floor temperature required would be too large.
  3. It is very slow to heat up the room from cold, meaning it has to be left on for long periods when it isn't being used.

Instead, assuming you have wet gas/oil central heating, add an additional zone with a fan convector. This will be much cheaper to run and will heat the room up rapidly, which is particularly useful as you can leave the room cold except when using it. Put it on its own zone with a programmable thermostat, so it is only warm when you need it, with independent boost and timing controls.

If you like a warm floor, have the underfloor heating as an additional appliance, preferably using the lowest energy density you can find, or even using wet underfloor rather than electric.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle