Under tile heating 150w v 200w

I'm the process of doing my shower room up and am going to put some undertile heating in while I'm at it. Its a reasonably small bathroom 2m x 2.5m and has a decent sized radiator on the wall however the room never feels particularly warm. Could be due to the lino and drafts under the skirting.

I'm not counting on the underfloor heating to heat the room but just have that warm effect when coming out the shower. Most under floor mats are either 150w or 200w.

200w would suggest to me that this would be warmer but most places state the difference is only in the heating up time. They reckon you should go with 200w if it is a stone base and 150w if its wood.

Anyone have any experience of that?

Cheers RS

Reply to
RoundSquare

Not directly, no, but 50W a square meter is about what you need for a pretty well insulated space.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've got 100W under slate tiles in my kitchen. I used 10mm marmox underneath (ground floor on a beam and block floor, so no scope for fitting much more in!). It heats the floor just fine, and I still haven't bothered putting a radiator in the room, though I will get round to it at some point..

If the drafts under the skirting are making the room feel cold, why not fix that first? A 'decent sized radiator' ought to have no trouble with a 2x2.5 bathroom...

Reply to
Nutkey

I've got 100W under slate tiles in my kitchen. I used 10mm marmox underneath (ground floor on a beam and block floor, so no scope for fitting much more in!). It heats the floor just fine, and I still haven't bothered putting a radiator in the room, though I will get round to it at some point..

If the drafts under the skirting are making the room feel cold, why not fix that first? A 'decent sized radiator' ought to have no trouble with a 2x2.5 bathroom...

---------------

Thanks guys. The radiator is a double 600 x 600 so should be able to cope. The draughts will get fixed as it will be fully tiled floor to ceiling.

RS

Reply to
RoundSquare

also line any outside walls with even a few mm of foam insulation especially if they are not cavity. Cuts down condensation a lot.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you want all the tiled floor to feel warm , make sure you cover all the floor with the heating system. The heat doesnt conduct sideways with tiles as I found out in my bathroom. I kept the heating wires well away from the walls, and expected fittings position just in case - end result cold feet when you stand at the sink!

Reply to
robert