Under canopy cooker hoods

A slight crisis in the kitchen. The fitter has left a 500mm space for a chimney over the hob and now can't get one smaller than 600mm.

Am I correct in thinking that if we put a 500mm cupboard in we can fit an under canopy extractor in the bottom of it?

Failing that i'll have to try and find a 500mm visor type.

Reply to
R D S

Have you got the standard 600 wide hob? If so, then I think it is in one of the building regs that you need a

600 wide extractor / a 600 wide space above the hob, to stop the heat igniting any cupboards directly above it. There may be some other stipulations in the gas regs, I know when we fitted a 900 wide fan over a 900 hob, there was to be an extra 50mm between the ends of the extractor, so the cupboards either side didnt get too hot from the hob heat. I havent seen any 500 extractors, but a quick google shows they are available.

Who planned this kitchen? If you have plans from one of the big suppllers then you shouldnt be having these problems, as their software plans all the gaps correctly, and adds extras for any building regs etc.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

The hob is 600 wide (590) but is induction so there is no danger of it setting the cupboards on fire. Whether this fits within regulations I have no idea. The fitter is talking about taking all the wall units out and trying to find the extra 100mm but I don't see how that can happen without an awful lot of pissing about. And as we have just entered week three I have vetoed any such work as I can't cope with the job moving backwards.

Long story short I stopped being a control freak for about 5 minutes. You live and learn.

Reply to
R D S

Also check the clearance required between the top of the hob and the bottom of the hood. If the hood has a chimney there may be a minimum height from ceiling to bottom of the hood in order to put it together properly depending on the construction of the hood assembly.

Reply to
SS

Things being cooked could still flare/flame and thus set fire to cupboards above even though the rings themselves might well be safer.

Reply to
polygonum

Has anyone ever set their cupboards alight while cooking?

Reply to
R D S

I dunno; a bit of heavy wok action might.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Or flaming with an alcoholic substance.

Reply to
polygonum

All the same, though; I think the cupboards would have to be soaked in kersosene to go up. I'd not be surprised at how much scorching, without bursting into flame, something like a cupboard would take.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon