Under-cabinet strip lights - LED?

One of the 16W fluorescent link things (about 520 mm) has just died; are the sensibly-priced LED alternatives any good yet?

Reply to
Nospam

Having asked about Lidl's LED under-cupboard strips here the other day, I bought two at (IIRC) £11.99 each.

They are about 750 mm long (three 250 mm parts which can be connected directly to each other or separated by supplied connector leads).

They work - rated at 3.8 W.

You get two metal clips for each strip, plus six sticky foam pads and screws - so fixing is easy and flexible. (Blu tack until we make a more permanent decision exactly where they are staying.)

The "transformer" is a neat 13 A plug device.

Colour of light is not quite what I expected. It is pleasant enough and, to begin with, looks like an incandescent lamp. Quite yellow-ish compared to a triphosphor tube. But when you see something blue, which normally appears very dark under a 2700K incandescent, the thing really is quite bright blue.

Now that we have taken the first step, more experimentation will be in order to achieve exactly what we want. But this was a useful and, I think, sensible first step at not too huge a price.

Been thinking, will LED lighting completely kill the term 'brownout'?

Reply to
polygonum

You can get LED tubes that go directly in the fluorescent fitting. (You disconnect the ballast and starter.) They cost about =A310 per foot, so =A320 in your case.

harry