Unblocking a loo...

Page 1 of 2
Hi
Got a prob. 2 loos plumbed on the same waste leading to the stack. Flush loo no. 1 the second wells up a bit, flush 2 and they both well up. Obviously theres a blockage so normally out come the drain rods, except theres no rodding point. At least not one that i can find without putting holes walls etc so I assume whoever installed them didn't think they'd ever get blocked in a youth hostel with 70 kids in it.
they've been like this for 24 hours and I've been flushing on and off to see if its clearing in any way. Any magic tricks? Especially considering I've got another group of 50 coming arriving in 24 hours.
Tony

Uh oh! Have you looked up on the roof to see if the soil stack is accessible from the top? Alternatively, are there no manhole covers leaking noisome fluids at ground level yet? If there are, whip the cover off and dive in. If there aren't, just lift *every* manhole cover that's nearby.
Tim

No puddles on the driveway (yet!) and I can;t get to the top of the stack so i'm stuck in the... well you know...
Tony

Just a suggestion, don't know if it will work.
Get a towel, put in bin liner. Use as large plug in one loo. Do the same with another towel, but use this one as a plunger.
What have you got to lose, except 2 bin liners?
Rick..
Rick wrote

eew, you'd re-use the towels ? :-0
Mind you .. in a youth hostel :-)))))
I've used big rags for this job before. Cut an old sheet in half and drop half in each loo. These will seal lovely when wet. Two of you then use broom handles on top of this simultaneously to plunge.
If this doesn't shift the debris, it's likely to be blocked in the manhole open gully rather than the pipe. then it's time to start lifting drain covers...
Cheers,
Paul.
"Rick" wrote | Get a towel, put in bin liner. Use as large plug in one loo. | Do the same with another towel, but use this one as a plunger. | What have you got to lose, except 2 bin liners?
Two bin liners and two towels, if the bin liner leaks (or possibly even if it doesn't, depending on level of personal fastidiousness).
Owain

Pour one of the patent sulphuric acid based drain unblocking fluids down in great profusuion and dissolve the blockage. They do work very well (but avoid getting them on acrylic baths - don't ask!)
Andrew Mawson
TonyK wrote:

First plunge em to empty as much as possible
Then fill each one up with canister of caustic soda
Then pour hot kettle of water on each one, wearing glasses, and slap a plastic bag over the top and put the seat down till the fizzing and bubbling stops.
Repeat until loos are cleared.
Find brat responsible, stuff down loo and repeat treatment till he is firmly dissolved and no forensic evidence exists.
Relax with cup of Ovaltine in the secure knoweldge that all is well and God is in His Place

writes

is ... well, you know ... "organic". If its a really big turd. In the likely event that someone has flushed something inappropriate down there then rodding or plunging is the only solution.
--
Tim Mitchell

I had exactly the same problem except with 4 loos, I used the long bendy spring type steel flexible rod thing about 10 foot long to clear it. They seem to be the standard thing for sale to do this type of thing (i'm no plumber). I just bent it round the u bend in the toilet bowl. Don't be too vigourous pushing too and fro as i did or you will wear the enamel off the bottom of the toilet bowl.
good luck
cg
-- Can't think of good sig at present.....maybe later --

I would call in Dyno-Rod. U-bends are no problem to their hose.
Colin Bignell
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:27:06 -0000, "nightjar"

Don't forget to apply for a new mortgage to pay their invoice.
PoP
Near where I live is the Drain Rodding capital of the UK. On almost every corner is a van with a drain rodding trailer. How many cowboys are needed? Maybe one job a week is sufficient though.
--

Regards

John

"PoP" < snipped-for-privacy@anyoldtripe.co.uk> wrote in message

Any plumber who unblocks drains charges a lot, but I can't say I blame them. Given the OP's circumstances, it does seem to be the only viable option, short of re-building the hostel.
Colin Bignell

your local Borough. In Northwich, Cheshire, for 60.00 + vat you get 2 willing men and 12 tons of pump truck for up to 30 mins. The kit is so powerful and the men so experienced you can clear a blockage, blast clean the other 3 stacks, and shift years of composted leaves from the car-park drains in that time. And on the first visit I recd a valuable tip - ban those clip-to-the-rim perfume things. Some go easily round the U-bend, then rotate to jam in the 4inch pipe.
--
roger

delete x's to email

http://www.dyno.com/docs/fixed_prices.htm
I had to use a drain clearing company about once a year at my last house. The pipework to the kitchen ran under the house and was a bit too level, so blocked up every winter when it got cold.
Dyno-Rod were a lot better than some of the other companies I used before them.
PM

Those prices clearly aren't unreasonable, so I'm happy to retract my earlier comment.
My original comment was based upon something that happened just after we were married 25 years ago. The shared drain which ran thru our back garden got blocked and we and the other householders upstream (or should that be 'upshit'?) suffered the consequences of smelly gardens and a rising tide of unmentionable matter in each of the drain chambers in the back gardens. Had to be fixed and reasonably fast.
Called DynoRod to resolve the problem and got hit for a 78 bill, which in 1978 was a princes ransom given that a working mans salary was of the order 60 per week (3000 per year). Shared amongst the affected householders but nonetheless a lot of money in those days.
PoP

It surprised me as well when I found out, as I had always believed that they charged the earth for any work they did.
They have been running the fixed prices for householders scheme for some time. I heard about when they advertised it after the last expose of rip off plumbers. Why they don't make more of it in their adverts in the yellow pages, I don't know.
The comparison between Dyno-Rod and the others (apart from the price) is staggering as well. When my drains blocked up I picked a local drain cleaning firm at random from the yellow pages (staying away from the AAAA111 merchants). They ended up trying to unblock the drain with a length of plastic curtain rail, with costs increasing per 10 minutes, and finally charged me about 100 (about 7 years ago).
12 months later when it had blocked up again, I called out Dyno-Rod.15 minutes with their jet-wash machine and a charge for 35 and it was done. The drain didn't block up again for the next two years, after which time we had then moved.
PM

Played (not the right word!) around with lengths of plastic, towels in bin liners, mops with sheets wrapped round them etc for 3 hours before giving up and calling in "Draincure", they were the only company who would quote an hourly rate over the phone. The boss came out as they were busy, he worked on it with all sorts of machinery for an hour and a half before it eventually cleared (non decomposable blockage!).
After all this I was ready for a 100+ quid bill but he just said they'd "do it as a favour" as he had fond memories of staying in a youth hostel.
I shall add him to my Christmas card list!
Tony

What a nice guy!
I was beginning to wonder whether you would give this as a task for somebody staying at your hostel :-).
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl