Unbelievable story of the day..

Culled from 'Monkeys' Table on the FT alphaville long room blogging site, always a good laugh.

should do the same here.

On topic here, as I would LURVE to know how our resident 'councillors' would have handled it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

> we should do the same here.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

> we should do the same here.

I believe it. And do you remember?

ARWadsworth

because of the Effin Softy act.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The customer can use the term lamps or lightbulbs as long as they pay.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Wot, all on your own?

:-)

Reply to
newshound

The Medway Handyman wibbled on Thursday 01 April 2010 18:15

Funny isn't it...

Look at your typical

Reply to
Tim Watts

ARWadsworth wibbled on Thursday 01 April 2010 19:02

Would you come and change my mysterious magical orb for a fiver?

Reply to
Tim Watts

>>> we should do the same here.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The big mistake is when organisations appoint someone who is responsible for safety. That's ridiculous. Everyone is responsible for safety, whether their own or of others. The minute you give responsibility to one person, they know they will be blamed if anything goes wrong, so they become risk averse to the point of paranoia.

It's exactly the same with quality assurance, ISO 900x. Treat quality or safety as a separate issue and complication and costs will go up. The answer is to make everyone responsible for quality and safety as an integral part of their job. Then there is no excuse, no passing the buck to the safety or quality person, and no over-cautious arse-covering by that person.

Reply to
Bruce

Hey, I'm a "Certified ScrumMaster" and time-served SquirrelBurger Chef, so who am I to talk 8-)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

OK What is the difference between a light bulb, lamp, or filament please?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

:-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

All of which prompts one to recount ( Can't remember if this was local or not but understand it was fact). A municipal council garbage collection worker declined to put a bag of garbage into the truck 'Because it was too heavy and exceeded the proscribed weight'! The 81 year householder, a woman, who had previously put the offending item out by the kerb, unaided, then picked up the bag and threw it into the truck herself! I suppose the only other action the municipal worker could have taken was a) Remove it from truck OR; b) Call for a work stoppage because the householder interfered with work he was supposed to perform (but had refused to do!). Any way the item got a good laugh in the local news for a day or so!.

Reply to
terry

>>> we should do the same here.

I'm afraid we generally leave that sort of thing to our resident 'officers'. Who generally do a jolly good job. But if they didn't I'd probably do what Cllr Hornby did.

council house sell-off they issued a DVD explaining how wonderful life would be under a Housing Association. Including a handyman inserting a bulb into a live (switched-on) ceiling socket ...

Douglas de Lacey (SCDC Councillor, but not a member of the ruling party)

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

The problem with the "risk assessments" is that those who carry them out very often appear unable subsequently to quantify the risk.

You may recall the postman (somewhere in Wales, IIRC), being told to no longer deliver mail where his walk involved going over a style and across a field. A be-suited pen-pusher who doesn't get out much might well view that as a dangerous activity, but the postie will have suitable footwear and will have done it for yonks. 43 years with no accidents, as I recall.

At our last village (in South Cambs) there were often calls for stop signs or speed bumps or whatever near a particular junction, because it looked "dangerous" and "we shouldn't wait for an accident before doing something". Given that during the 15 years I lived there there were no such accidents, the answer needs to be "Yes we should!".

But councils appear to be scared by their own shadows in such cases.

Reply to
Tim Streater

All by myself :-)

I do place two warning signs out though.... the punters love it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It is a long running personal joke/argument between me and the TMH. He used to call them bulbs and I told him to buy them from a garden centre.

You charge more to change a lamp than a bulb.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

No, it was a genuine question. As most of you know I worked on military aircraft and the electricians always called an illuminating device a filament and never a bulb.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

snip

A filament is the light emitting part of an incandescent electric light bulb.

An electric light bulb is the complete unit.

A lamp is any device that provides illumination regardless of the energy source.

Reply to
Roger Chapman