Ummm, what are they called?

There was no retainer in the first place. This is the linkage that connects the wiper blade to the wiper motor on a Fiat Punto. It's just a push fit, with nothing to hold it on. As it wears, the linkage eventually falls apart, and the wipers stop working. Puntos are notorious for this. It's a simply awful piece of design. Fiat's solution is to sell a complete wiper motor and linkages (for about £250). My bodge was cheaper, and I have resolved never to buy a Fiat again. This car has only done 30k miles, and many things have gone wrong.

Here it is, if you are interested. ;)

GB

I have _never_ seen a split pin holding a wheel on (and believe me, I've looked) on any person-carrying vehicle.

Taper gibs once held wheels on, and these gibs were locked with a split pin.

Nuts now hold wheels (or usually bearing races) in place, and these nuts are locked with a split pin.

In both cases though, the split pin isn't the thing holding the wheel in place. Biggest thing I've seen where it was (on its own) were railway station luggage trolleys. For anything bigger, a split pin isn't the intended retainer, even if TNP does pop up in a minute to tell us about his old Mini.

The reason is most likely that split pins don't allow adjustment of end-float and even in Georgian times, this was recognised as a necessity. I've been looking for bare split pins as retainers for a few years now (I have an exciting life) and still can't find an example.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Fair few around your farm. Admittedly mostly on low speed limited movement machinery and backed by a washer.

My bale elevator, welding transformer, bale accumulator for three:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I think I saw a pram that did many years ago, it wasn't quite bare as it held a washer on, then the wheel.

Reply to
dennis

My go cart I had as a kid was definitely a "person carrying vehicle".

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q