Ultrasonic Parking Sensor

Not a leg pull, no. If the Maplin one is the Vellerman kit ready made, I've got one spare. The sensors - which are on a separate board are in a suitable box too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

It would be easier if he got the number plate and you reemburse him, IIRC [1] you need both the 'logbook' and some other form of ID (and I assume they have to match).

[1] don't normally have this problem as other rules apply to registered vehicle dealers / repairers.

Don't show him my previous message, he'll go looking and could well find more damage...

Reply to
Jerry.

The point of impact was directly on to the end of a 1 1/2" sq steel section forming part of the subframe. I don't think I have *ever* stopped quite so quickly in a car before an that includes the time a (small) tree stepped out in front on me. The mooring bollard wasn't going to move, and there was *very* little give in the steel.

That'll do for me... These wrap around plastic jobbies are fcking expensive, pity Landrover Defenders aren't that comfortable for long journeys, proper bumper U section galvanised steel 3/16 or is 1/4" thick...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 23 May 2004 17:13:03 +0100, geoff strung together this:

Pardon?

Actually, I hhappened to have a colour covert camera laying around and a spare reversed AV input on the dash mounted TV, thought I might as well stick one in. I can't actually see the back of the van *that* well as I've completely lined and racked the back of the van and the side mirrors aren't that good for judging the distance to vehicles\obstructions behind accurately.

Reply to
Lurch

In message , Lurch writes

Hence my "restricted visibility" qualification above

Reply to
geoff

Need and want are entirely different things. I learned to drive in London and I routinely park a 4.5m vehicle in spaces that Sussex drivers find too small for a Metro. However, I wouldn't now buy a motor without parking sensors. They make it soooo much easier. They are particularly useful parking in my garage, where, if I want to be able to get out, I have to get as close as I can to the wall on the nearside, without scraping the brick pier half way down. Being a manufacturer's option, when I plug the tow hook in, they compensate for the extra length and I can use them to position myself exactly right for the trailer bar.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I was surprised to be asked for no docs when I got new number plates made.

Reply to
BillV

Same here. Some nice person backed into my front one so I went down the local Halfords for a new one - with docs in pocket. Not asked for them and I paid in cash.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Yes they do. You can apply more concentration to the squaring up without worrying so much as to what is behind.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

together

We all bow down to the mighty geoff. I'm not getting one now because you say they are crap.

Tosser!

Reply to
Scott

If you can't enter a box to be square when you stop moving no sensor telling you that you are about to hit something is going to help. It's about knowing how wide, how long, what steering lock etc your vehicle has....

IMO drivers should be able to drive as well backwards as they do forwards before they are allowed onto the road alone, meaning you should be able to reverse along a marked out road and also to swap lanes whilst coming to rest with both sets of wheels square to the marked kerb line.

Reply to
Jerry.

IMO you should get out more!

Reply to
Scott

In message , Scott writes

You asked for opinions, I gave mine

You can go and get a driving lesson now with the money you saved can't you

Reply to
geoff

My (very elderly) Range Rover is a doddle to park and can be driven through gaps that seem to terrify modern cars, e.g. through width restrictors without slowing whilst the Astra drivers look around for pedestrian guidance, this is simply because it is for all intents square. I can see the front coners to within 2 cm and the *actual* rear corners, add to this the flat sides and you have a vehicle that is easy to position (and it's narrower and shorter than a Mondeo before anyone says anything about 4x4s clogging the roads). My SAAB 95 on the other hand is a delightful confection of swooping curves and vanishing corners and is, consequently, a nightmare to park.

Friend has a Ford Galaxy with all the toys including front and rear distance whotsits. The driver can see nothing of the car in front of the windscreen and he finds the parking radar very useful.

My 2d FWIW

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

I agree. The Galaxy (I have one) is a pig to park at the 'front'. Rear is a lot easier, but the gizmos are VERY useful for the front.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Funny how the instructor on my recent emergency response driver course didn't seem to think I required anymore lessons at the for the time being!

Reply to
Scott

No, I should be able to *stay in* more, I see to many crap drivers already !...

Reply to
Jerry.

In message , Scott writes

why the f*ck were you asking about them in the first place then ?

Logically

either you can park competently (in which case you don't) or you can't, in which case you need instruction

Reply to
geoff

Because of restricted visibility. Is that okay. I asked a question about how difficult it would be to fit, and what else would I need. I wasn't asking if it was ok to buy one. Are you normally this aggressive? I think you may have some issues hat need dealing with.

Reply to
Scott

Yes because you never know when you may need to reverse along a marked out road and also to swap lanes whilst coming to rest with both sets of wheels square to the marked kerb line.

Reply to
Scott