Ultrasonic measures

Aldi have these at 12 quid, with a pointing laser built in.

Any use? Are these things getting to the stage of being usable or accurate yet? Is this particular one worth a tenner or so?

I have a lot of room measuring to do shortly, which doesn't need great accuracy. If these things are up to it, they'd really be useful.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Laser measures are good, not so convinced about ultrasonic ones. Probably alright if the room doesn't have much clutter and/or have more than one flat surface in the direction you are aiming in to produce "competing" reflections.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

For that price go buy it and see.

Reply to
RW

If its the one I saw he will be disappointed, it was an electronic tape with digital readout, not a laser or ultrasonic measure. It did have a laser level of sorts.

Reply to
dennis

It's an ultrasonic measure, with a laser to help point it.

I'll probably get one. Quite probably I'll regret it afterwards. After all, I have around 40 measurements to take with it. Just _how_ lazy am I?.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

They don't have that one at my aldi just the one I mentioned. I did think about buying one until I took one out of the box and had a look. YMMV.

The guy doing the heating survey for the free CH had a laser measure but I expect he is doing more measurements than that every morning.

Reply to
dennis

Andy Dingley formulated on Saturday :

Yes, they work fine and are accurate - but you need to be aware of their limitations. They need a clear flat, uncluttered surface to bounce the beam off.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield