Ultrasonic cleaner tests

I just got my new ultrasonic cleaner. It's a Codyson 2800. It makes the usual buzzing noise and there are small ripples on the surface, but I'm not sure it's cleaning properly. I've only tried it with water so far and it's not really shifting the muck off the stuff I want cleaned. Are there any tests I can do with the cleaner that will show it's working properly?

Thanks,

Ken

Reply to
Kooky45

Place a sugar lump in the water and turn on. Should vanish in about 5-10 secs.

Reply to
Grunff

Lower a sheet of aluminium cooking foil into it. The ultrasound should punch lots of holes through it.

Personally, I would not expect water alone to be much use. If you have to use water-based cleaners, try one of those based on citric acid. Otherwise use the most agressive solvent that the stuff you want to clean will survive. Tricholorethane was always the best, even if it did eat the ozone layer.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I will do this. Another test I heard of was to put tin foil in and see if it gets perforated, and it worked so it looks like the cleaner is working fine.

Reply to
Kooky45

In message , Kooky45 writes

Has anyone ever put Coke or Pepsi into one of these? I did it once, don't ask why, it was quite spectacular. But it did prove it shook the contents!

Reply to
Bill

why, it was quite spectacular.

I would fear for the integrity of the container....

Reply to
OldScrawn

I thought you used castor oil or liquid paraffin. IIRC it gets very warm.

Would it make good crystal samples in a super saturated solution?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

In message , OldScrawn writes

The container was stainless steel and fine, the concrete floor was a different matter though.

Reply to
Bill

It depends on what you want to clean and, for commerical units with a heated solvent bath, on what liquid the cleaner thermostat is set for. In an unheated tank, citrus acid based cleaners will clean most things reasonably well. I use that for getting my glasses really clean.

I can't say I've tried, but it would be an interesting experiment.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

It's been many years since i've used one, but we used to use the powdered "Borax" soap stuff in it to clean small bits of machine tools, etc...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson