Ultimate DIY

Just been thinking, over the years I have read quite a few books in which a character has made a coffin. (Moberg: The Emigrants being the latest). Another book had a chap who IIRC cut seven planks and used them for his bed until needed. Indeed, we recently found that my partner's great grandfather was the local carpenter and undertaker in Great Tey.

Other than the most obvious requirement of being the right size, are there any rules (Part Z?) on their construction?

I imagine that, if destined for the crem., there could be restrictions on use of metal, wood treatments, etc.

So, any advice if I wanted to make my own?

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS!

I have book, The Natural Way of Death I think it's called. Fascinating.

One thing I remember is that if the body is going to be viewed it's a good idea to put a wedge under the head, otherwise the jaw falls open and some people find it offensive ...

When you consider what the undertakers provide I doubt it. The oven temperatures are so high that dioxins etc. are converted before you get to the top of the chimney.

Me? Well I'd be happy just to have a winding sheet and be buried on a board. There are enough skilled woodworkers in our family that there won't be a problem and I know they'll be able to use timbers which are otherwise unusable for anything else. Mine will be a DIY funeral from beginning to end.

Hope the run-up isn't though :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Car body filler. Job done.

Reply to
Bob Eager

"Rod Hewitt" wrote | Just been thinking, over the years I have read quite a few books | in which a character has made a coffin. (Moberg: The Emigrants | being the latest). Another book had a chap who IIRC cut seven | planks and used them for his bed until needed. Indeed, we | recently found that my partner's great grandfather was the | local carpenter and undertaker in Great Tey. | Other than the most obvious requirement of being the right size, | are there any rules (Part Z?) on their construction?

Not unless you are living in one :-)

| I imagine that, if destined for the crem., there could be restrictions | on use of metal, wood treatments, etc.

You don't think they *burn* those expensive coffins do you? They're crematorium assistants' perks are expensive coffins.

| So, any advice if I wanted to make my own?

AIUI coffins are about £20 flat-pack from the wholesalers anyway. You couldn't buy the wood for that price. Or go round the back door of the crematorium at closing-time with a handful of used fivers and a black estate car.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I find the whole idea of "open casket" funerals offensive.

Reply to
Huge

I have heard people say, really believing it, that this is true, that the coffins are 'recycled' so to speak. Good idea if they were IMO, as long as the crematoriums/funeral directors are open about it. But does it really happen?

-- Holly, in France. Holiday home in the Dordogne, website:

Holly, in France

No. When it comes to it the average coffin is six pieces of Contiplas and probably costs the same. So it wouldn't be worth the hassle, let alone the unpleasantness for the crem operatives.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

"Holly, in France" wrote | > You don't think they *burn* those expensive coffins | > do you? They're crematorium assistants' perks are | > expensive coffins. | I have heard people say, really believing it, that this | is true, that the coffins are 'recycled' so to speak. | Good idea if they were IMO, as long as the crematoriums/ | funeral directors are open about it. But does it | really happen?

I would be surprised if it hasn't, somewhere. When one thinks of what goes on in the restaurant trade re-using the plate scrapings ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Tony Bryer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@delme.sda.co.uk:

Is that just ordinary particle board with a finish?

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

yup. If I understand correctly its a cheaper finish than melamine aka contiboard. It doesnt have to last so long. I think it might even be printed paper.

NT

Reply to
bigcat