UK Telephones

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 19:13:53 GMT, in uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com (Lurch) strung together this:

I've just found them again, SB02326. Connects to the USB port and wirelessly transmits to another unit plugged into the phone socket. Only for standard dial-up connections though.

Reply to
Lurch

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 21:11:50 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Jerry." strung together this:

Propoganda? A secured wireless network is safer than a unsecured wired one, internet connected on both counts that is.

Reply to
Lurch

"GB" wrote | > Err, what if (as mentioned in the OP's message) the OP wants the | > second phone socket, perhaps for a fax or computer etc. ? A | > cordless phone simply does not do the job ! Doh... | Fair enough. Are there what I might describe as Dect sockets | on the market - receiving station is just a socket into which | you plug said PC or fax.

There used to be, I think.

Maplin do now have a mains phone extender (master unit connects to phone line and mains, extension unit plugs into mains and has a socket for a phone). I don't think it would really be suitable for internet, but okay for a sky box that needs to phone home occasionally.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

One For All, it uses the house mains wiring.

James Hart

In article , Simon writes

DTEC Cordless phones 5+ phones per line and no wires

Reply to
zaax

Yes. BT may not like you tho.

I can't see the difference between two master sockets with a bit of wire between them and two sockets, one master one slave with a bit of wire between them, tho..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'll say again, how do cordless phone help with wanting a second socket ?....

-- Jerry. Location - United Kingdom. In the first instance please reply to group, The quoted email address is a trash can for Spam only.

Reply to
Jerry.

Not to mention those of us who use PABX's on 2 wire systems that need a master per extension..

My BT masters just go straight into the PABX, I relocared the incoming BT line from the old house via a temporary connection in the portakabin to the new house, patched in some cat 5 and lengthened it to come down to where all the comms gear is. Despite the ISDN stuff being switched off for 18 months, no one at BT ever asked me why a home highway line was being used with a single POTS. Or noticed when it all reverted to ISDN 18 months later.

Otr have noticed indeed that the house it used to go to has been repalced with a different one.

I always make a pont of chatting to the BT contractors who come out to fiddle in the ducts that lie along the road, offering free coffee and biscuits. Sometimes they accept. One bloke who finished his schedule early een spent the afternoon stacking bricks for free - either in order to case the property for later, or possibly because he was bored and fancied a chat.

IME BT don't give a stuff unless it goes wrong and you call them in. THEN you may have to pay through the nose if they can claim you messed it all up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can clip out the varistor if you are worried.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mmm., You can't say that. It depneds on th eraltive probability of being able to tap into eiher.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Two ring capacitors (in series with in-service resistors) across the line, instead of one. May make a difference...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Hi,

Sounds like the master could be moved to where you were thinking of putting another master, then an extension socket put in where the master was. Then another extension could be run from the new location of the master if need be.

On most master sockets the faceplate can be unscrewed and unplugged, and there are extra IDC connections for connecting an extension. This saves using a doubler and looks neater.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

What varistor? The componets of a master socket are: a PCB, a socket, a resistor, a capacitor and a gas filled surge arrestor.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It can indeed, "ring trip" is the worst case I guess. The capacitors draw enough current to make the exchange think the line has been answered and imediately hung up. All the caller gets is and charged, the callee just a short burst of ringing then nothing, picking up just gets dialtone.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You can't - but the automatic line test system can and will through up a wobbly every time it is run overnight.

Reply to
G&M

Latest NTE-5 I think it's called is a bit more complex to simplify line test. Not sure if it has a varister though.

Reply to
G&M

't seem to indicate anything other than the "normal" components.

Maybe you are getting confused with the replacement face plate for the NTE-5 that has an ADSL filter:

Dave Liquorice

I meant in terms of difficulty and ugliness of installation...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah. The gas filled surge arrestor then :)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Er, I meant that it is just as much hassle to do the job properly as bodge in a second master with all the defects you and others have piinted out.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher