UK Telephones

I want a new phone point in my living room without trying to run an extension from the existing circuit.

Before I pay BT to install this new connection, is it possible to connect a second master socket to the incoming BT wireing? This would mean two maste sockets on the same input?

Thanks

Simon

Reply to
Simon

Your question does not make sense.

1) Do you mean that you want a second phone line that is completely independent of the first, at the same point using the same incoming wires. A: Yes this is possible, but it is impossible for you to do this without paying BT's extortionate charge as it won't work unless they connect up their end. And having paid the fixed charge for the new line they will put it somewhere else for free.

2) Do you just want two phone connected to the same point to ring together. Yep you can do this yourself (though you might not be legally entitled to do it), but the second socked must not be a master socket, but a secondary socket (and to avoid you getting it wrong, it should be impossible to buy anything except secondary sockets at "sheds")

tim

Reply to
tim

It is possible but BT won't do it and will remove it if they come across it (and possibly charge you for doing so). The wiring up to the master socket is a BT responsibility.

There is nothing to stop you using a master as an extension so would it be possible to move the BT Master (you shouldn't really but if you do a competent job no one is going to be bothered) to where your new socket is going to be and then use just 2 and 5 to go from the new extension side using the old wiring to a replacement master socket where the BT one was?

Reply to
Peter Parry

Think DECT!

Reply to
GB

Just get a twin Dect cordless phones. Cost from under £40 from Argos, for example. You can even transfer calls between handsets.

Alec

Reply to
Alec

Electrically it will work fine and it's OK for BT to do it, but you aren't supposed to -- the master socket and the wiring back from it belong to BT.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Err, what if (as mentioned in the OP's message) the OP wants the second phone socket, perhaps for a fax or computer etc. ? A cordless phone simply does not do the job ! Doh...

Reply to
Jerry.

Wired phones don't get lost...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Chapter and verse here under wiring. Don't fit two master sockets since it can show up as a fault at the exchange.

Peter Crosland

[ re BT master sockets and their advalability ]

Why, what about matching the style of the master socket with the rest of the rooms electrical plates / fittings ?

Fitting is another thing all together, but restricting the sale of master sockets will just mean people fitting secondary's and leaving the phone plugged in all the time (and thus no fault will show up when the exchange self tests the line) - I would far prefer (in order of preference) someone to supply their own Master socket for BT to fit, the home owner messing around with BT wiring but at least using the correct fittings than the home owner messing around with the BT wiring and fitting the wrong components to boot ! :~(

-- Jerry. Location - United Kingdom. In the first instance please reply to group, The quoted email address is a trash can for Spam only.

Reply to
Jerry.

Heh heh. So we're to be stuck with those horrible surface mounted BT master boxes?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

That would be a bit hard to control.......

There are perfectly legitimate reasons for having multiple master sockets.

For example, for wiring extensions from a PABX. A lot of PABXs only have two wire connections for the extensions - I have a German manufactured one that is like this.

If you use a UK type phone, it won't ring if just connected with two wires. You can get PABX outlets which are basically a master socket (includes capacitor etc. but not protection components). Howver, these cost more than a master socket quite often and you can't get them to match the other wiring accessories in the room.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Or get thrown in the bin by a three year old. We didn't find out he'd done this until after bin day! :-) I can laugh now!

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Also PABX's usually need master sockets as extensions so all my ones are masters but only the private exchange input is presented to the BT line

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

"Simon" wrote | I want a new phone point in my living room without trying to run an | extension from the existing circuit. | Before I pay BT to install this new connection, is it possible to | connect a second master socket to the incoming BT wireing? This would | mean two master sockets on the same input?

It is possible to, but:

  1. Having two master sockets in parallel will increase the ringing capacitance on the line, which may result in a fault or a test alert at the exchange.

  1. The wiring on the exchange side of the master socket is BT's property and you are not permitted to wire into it.

  2. If you still use loop-disconnect phones, you'll get bell tinkle.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Or suffer flat batteries.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Fair enough. Are there what I might describe as Dect sockets on the market - receiving station is just a socket into which you plug said PC or fax.

Reply to
GB

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 19:03:49 +0000 (UTC), in uk.d-i-y "GB" strung together this:

Someone, (Binatone I think), do a wireless internet thingy. Does what you said. ISTR seeing them in CPC.

Reply to
Lurch

Yes but they are not suitable for high speed modem connections, they rely on only have one AD conversion.

There are DECT to USB devices which presumably move the 56k modem to the base unit and use the DECT link purely as a digital one for the already decoded analogue modem signal.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Why does the phrase 'Security Flaws' come to mind when people state talking about wireless internet / networking ?...

Reply to
Jerry.