uk style fridge freezer with ice dispenser??

time for a new fridge freezer, would really like one of those with an ice dispenser on the door, no probs running a water line to it if needed,

BUT we have a small kitchen with a standard 60 inch wide fridge freezer in a slot between the wall and cabinets, no way to make the hole big enough for an american style unit, and there's only 2 of us so we don't need that size either,

i have seen a couple of units, one by LG, other by beko, but i was wondering if anyone knows of any more, even better if someone has one and can tell us of any potential problems. there are a fair few with just the chilled water dispenser, but we want ice on demand, and do not want a seperate ice maker taking up one of the very few worktops,

and yes i know you can buy a kilo of ice for a quid, or 70p for a pack of 20 or so ice cube bags... or use a tray, but we figured as we need a new fridge freezer anyway, may as well try and get the type we always wanted.

Reply to
Gazz

few worktops,

I've know idea about 60cm wide units but "American style" ones with two side by side doors are about 6" *deeper* than standard fridge freezers so make sure you check the depth before you buy.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Ice maker is a great waste of internal space. We got a Beko 700 wide FF which has a twist/turn ice tray which slots in. Fill with water, when its frozen you twist it to break the bond of the ice cubes with the tray (twists at the front and not the back), then the ice falls down into a tray below. Now I have a tray of ice and the next load busy freezing. Takes next to no fridge space and no farting with a water supply.

Reply to
Tim Streater

ember.org>,

... And is the "poor man's" option. ;-). We have an American style fridge freezer with integral automatic ice maker and I don't regret buying it one tiny bit. More or less "unlimited" ice whenever I want it without faffing around with ice trays. Worth every penny.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Likewise I have a Siemens stainless steel FF about 600mm/2' with a similar ice molishing arrangement which I rarely use, and mainly rely on quid packs of ice "cubes" (strange defintion of a cube as a sort of hollow cylinder!).

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Fisher Paykel do a range with the water dispenser on the fridge door, and a= n automatic, plumbed in ice maker as the top drawer in the freezer. It mean= s you have to open the freezer to get the ice, but it is made automatically= . I think the smallest in the range is 64cm - can you make space for that?

andrew

We looked at so-called American-style fridges, and concluded they're a bit like the Tardis in reverse: large on the outside, wasted and/or little space on the inside.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I always wondered who actually bought ice; is it really so hard to put a tray in the freezer?

Reply to
larkim

in the freezer?

Anyone who's having a party. Our local off licence does a roaring trade in bags of ice cubes on hot or bank holiday weekends. It saves planning ahead for a week or two and using your freezer.

Reply to
John Williamson

I'm sure we got it delivered by horse & cart around here. It's been a few years though ;) Spose he needed the horse & cart to lug around the freezer....... And salt, and the knife grinder, and......... I'll get me coat.

Reply to
scorched

tember.org>,

It all depends on what value you place on instant crushed ice at the press of a lever. I was happy to lose freezer space (which only leads to hoarding things for too long) in exchange for instant crushed ice.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Thats when the ice cube bags come in useful. You can shove 10 of them into the freezer on top of each other.

And everyone knows a full frezer is more economical to run

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yeah, but you live miles from the shops :-) But yes, you do want to get it home before it has chance to start to melt. We have 2 shops within a couple of hundred metres that sell it, or I can get it delivered with the grocery delivery.

I quite often buy the bags of ice, (though also use the ice bags that you fill, as can load up the freezer with those, but not sure it is cheaper. Supermarket costs: 2k g of ice costs about £1, the ice cube bags about 13p a bag, making I think 20 cubes. but lots of energy surely in keeping the ice frozen and shipping in around the country)

I can't be arsed to faff around with trays anymore, though the kids like doing it.. I have to find somewhere flat in the chest freezer that is pretty full of stuff. the it tips over. you need a few in there or we see to run out before it gets refilled. Getting blocks out of some trays is a pain, they break etc.

Reply to
chris French

Scuse me but, what do you all use ice for? Weakening scotch or cooling orange/lemon ade?

Reply to
scorched

There's an ice-maker in my fridge, but we've never bothered hooking it up. I have some ice-cube trays, somewhere...but I can't remember the last time I used them.

Reply to
S Viemeister

None of these problems affect my small ice tray which has its own slot (hence no trouble finding somewhere flat) and has small levers on it which twist it to break all the ice cubes free. In twisting, the tray is also turned over so the cubes all fall out into a small tray below (which also has its own slot). As I refill at the same time, I have ice in the lower tray loose and ready to use, and more freezing above.

Without a mechanism like this, one would have all the problems you list above.

Reply to
Tim Streater

For G&T and for soft drinks on hot days.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Of course. That was one or the reasons for buying it - along with it being a 700mm wide FF and having a good split between the fridge and freezer parts - SWMBO likes the fact that there was a 50% split between them rather than too much fridge. She also liked that the inside space was not cluttered up and wasted by useless gadgets (like ice cube

*makers* that use all the door space) or that at any rate such items could easily be removed (such as a rack for 4 or so bottles of wine - we might only ever have one in there, tops).

Flexibility, IOW.

Reply to
Tim Streater