UK mains wiring colours?

Page 2 of 2

Those are the colours for a *flexible* cord. House wiring - ie the permanent stuff in the walls etc, is red for line, black for neutral and a bare earth conductor - which should be sleeved green/yellow at terminal points.
--
*Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

The colour coding of mains cabling may be changing in the UK, and some companies are jumping on the bandwagon right now. For example: http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr2711.html
So the system may change in the near future.
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:54:44 GMT, "BigWallop"

That looks more like flex actually. Close! I do seem to remember something about cable colour changes, something to do with europe, again. Bloody Brussells.

Doesn't it make sense for consumer goods being sold within one free trade area to have a common wiring standard? And the old UK one was *not* suitable - too many people are red/green colour blind, and these getting swopped by mistake is the worst possible scenario - hence the striped earth wire that anyone can identify.
--
*Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 23:47:57 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

You could be right, but if that rule was being applied i would have thought changing two different wiring colours would have been largely ineffective given the amount of different accessories and fittings there are. It doesn't matter what colour the cable is, it's either safe or it's not and it either fits in the hole or it doesn't! Never mind appliance manufacturing, with sometimes it seems no regard for safety or workmanship etc.. If we are meant to be all compliant and work as one free trade area then a different colour cable would be way down my list of things to change. Some people I have worked with haven't been colourblind, just useless or just plain blind, it wouldn't matter if the cables were touch sensetive or voice activated, some people quite simply have no idea anyway!
SJW

Run that by me again?

At the time of the changeover, appliances often didn't come with plugs fitted, so the householder had to do this. And all sorts of colour combinations existed across Europe.

Priorities vary. It was a relatively easy change to implement.

You try and make things fool proof. Even idiot proof. You can't make them c**t proof.
--
*I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:02:44 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

Well, if changing cable colours because of free trade rules within the EU was the case then surely it doesn't matter what colour the cables are, you can't fit round plugs in square sockets and vice versa. It doesn't what colour the cable is in the wall, and in various parts of europe they do not use red\black nor do they use blue\brown so it wouldn't make the slightest difference to anything really.

When you say 'at the time of changover' which colour changeover are you on about, the one with decimalisation or the current one? You seem to be past tense, I'm not sure we're on the same subject here!

Easy to implement if you are deciding on what to change. If you are a contractor it means you have to start condemning your own work, again. As we have all had to do before when the end result is no different but costs are higher because of one slight, minor change to BS7671.

Quite right, I do tend to manage to work most of them!

SJW
Lurch wrote:

But you forget that electricians from France can come over here and wire up your house for you. Now they can do that without having to check the colour codes....
Though, unless the wiring standards and requirements here are the same as the rest of the EU, then they'll still need to check up on things before putting screwdriver to screw.
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:56:48 -0000, "David Hearn"

Yes, and vice-versa, I can go into europe and wire up anything I like, although I still wouldn't know whether the standards in that country were the same as in BS7671 so I would have to read up first, as would someone coming from France probably do if they were coming over here to do any electrical work. Technically though, anyone can do anything because nothing is actually mandatory, in england at least. You could stick a ring on a 80A rewirable and wire it with bell wire, that is the main problem. Although everthing in the EU is coming together I still couldn't say whether the wiring regulations, if they had any at all, were the same as ours in France, Germany or anywhere in the EU. There don't seem to be any EU wide regulations regarding cabling techniques, manufacturing standards and colours, and if there are they aren't as readily available as they should be. Until it is all identical the odd little change here and there won't make much difference. SJW

<<<snipped>>>
http://www.cablefirst.btinternet.co.uk/internationalpowercords.htm
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

eSpammer.Org.Uk> writes

What about all those electricians from Poland, Hungary, Romania etc etc who presumably can come here really soon (legally) by the ?Thousand.

--
Andrew

I'm talking about the one which standardised the flex colours, which was rather more pressing, since houses don't tend to get exported complete.
And the cable change hasn't yet happened.
--
*The modem is the message *

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:59:47 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

1970/71
I just had an officer round here from West Yorkshire Trading Standards in connection with a problem my daughter's having with some hair straighteners.
She said (believe it or not) the regulation requiring standard colour coding for mains flexes was dropped years ago. The cores can be any colour as long as there is a note explaining how they should be connected up.
It was news to me!
DG

Many of the imported appliances we use have an instruction sheet stuck to the flex to tell us what goes where, so the information you got is correct. Some of the stuff we use comes from the USofA and they change colours like we change our socks, and I've seen us having to call them and ask if they are still using the grey as live or if they've changed it to red or brown again.
In a three core and earth PVC in the UK, the standard is Red, Blue and Yellow conductors with a bare copper earth connecting centre, but in most of the other EU places the three core is made up of two grey or black and a red or brown, and if it comes with an earth connecting centre you're very luck you spent the extra few Euro on the cable.
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:59:47 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

That would be the one that happened before I was born then! O.K. I suppose both sides could be right, depending exactly what you're looking at. But there still isn't an actual EU standard covering everything, if someone came from within the EU came over here to do anything having some things the same and some different surely wouldn't be any more helpful than everything being different? SJW
Dave Plowman wrote:

But UK fixed wiring installations are NOT consumer goods freely traded throughout the EU. (Flexible appliance cords may be, and these do have IEC colouring.) There isn't even a single market in most cable and wiring accesories, which are of different types and standards, let alone the difference in colour coding.
Changing the colour coding of NEW fixed wiring installations will make no practical difference to a single EU labour market for sparkies, as ALL the existing instalations they will have to interface with in the UK will be in the existing colour codes. Besides which, any foreign sparkie wishing to ply his trade here will find our strange, illogical, potentially leathal colour coding the least of his worries.
These changes can only have any single market benefit, if there are other far reaching chages further down the line. Of course we are always told there are currently no plans to impose anymore unwelcome chnages... (But of course that's the way it's always been with european domination - small creeping changes, which are always denied until we're told they are inevitable, and for the common good, and we have no right of appeal, as they have already been decided as necessary by the commission, and our parliment has no auhority to disagree with such directives, and anyway they won't actually have any practical negative effect on us, and nothing else will be changed without our consent... {unless of course the commission decides it is necessary to do so...})