UK mains wiring colours?

Page 1 of 2
Please would someone clarify or correct the following, in regard to UK 'modern' mains house/residential wiring.
Earth: Green or green/yellow?
Neutral: Blue?
Live: (230 volts at 50 hertz etc.) Brown?
Much appreciated. Terry.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Green and yellow

Black
Red
Your version would be as found in flexible cables the corrections would be in the fixed wiring within the building, apart from the earth which would be green/yellow in all cases. I hope you're not thinking of wiring anything not knowing such a basic concept?
SJW
Add pictures here
βœ–

Live=red, neutral=black, green/yellow sleevingκrth.
What you've got there are flex wiring colours.
Si
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 17:19:39 UTC, "Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot"

At present...
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
βœ–

Well, for the moment anyway.
βœ–

Thanks for the various replies and your corrections..
Several people have pointed out that 'my' colours are those used in 'flex' leads. I've seen these in, for example, computer power cords and inside some non North American and appliances imported from elsewhere.
I gather that UK 'house' wiring is;
Earth: Green and Yellow.
Neutral: Black.
Live: Red.
In reply to one concern; no! I'm not contemplating any wiring; at least not in the UK. I'm trying to sort out some info for a relative now in a Middle East location where the residences are ostensibly wired to UK standard? The appliances are from all over the place, Italy, France and Allah knows where! Typically there are two pin ungrounded 'continental Schuko?' plugs, with round pins attached to appliances. These are pushed into 13 amp square pin outlets; one method apparently being to use a butterknife into the ground pin of a UK style outlet to open the shutters so as to 'force fit' the round pins into the square sockets of the outlet! The appliance stays ungrounded and my relative has already in less than five days had a nasty 230 volt shock from the metal body on an appliance! There appears to be no proper earths/grounds on some of the outlets and the whole residence seems to be equipped with one 40 amp 230 breaker. That's only 9.2 Kva for a three bedroom residence with several air conditioners! It all sounds very inadequate and unsafe by our standards? Since my relative was 'well brought up' in regard to Canadian Safety Standards he has quickly bought some UK square pin style 13 amp plugs to rewire the appliance flex leads. But has serious concerns about the earthing/grounding in the residence generally! The plumbing is plastic! But he has discovered some sort of metal pipe in his yard buried in the sandy (e.g. high resistivity) soil!
Here, in eastern north America btw we use different colours for residence wiring. And btw the above conditions would be condemned for rewiring and reinspection before the meter would be reconnected! Normal single family residence here 200 amp at 115/230 volts. i.e. 46 Kva.
Ground; Green or bare copper. Occasionally conduit, or that flexible metal sheathed cable, is used. But in general most administrations now require an actual ground wire usually one gauge size smaller than the neutral and live current carrying conductors, back to the fuse/circuit breaker distribution panel (i.e. CU) for new and upgrade installations.
Neutral: White.
Live: Black. However when we wire 230 volts to a cooking stove or electric hot water cylinder, we use red and black, both wires/legs being at 115 volts to neutral/ground. Lighting and outlets are distributed between neutral and each leg/side of the 115-0-115 3 wire supply at the CU. The neutral is grounded/earthed once only at the main panel/CU.
Radial circuits: 'Ring mains' do not seem to be used at all. This results in a greater number of individual/radial circuits with rules for the number of outlets or the lighting load on each circuit. In residence work: Outlets typically 20 amp breaker maximum (20 x 115 = 2300 Va) Lighting 15 amp maximum. However in recent years some 'mixing' of outlets and lighting on 15amp circuits seems to be permitted. e.g. basement store room lighting and a couple of convenience outlets.
Also: For a 'switched' circuit, a ceiling light for example, many administrations prefer that we use a red/black from the ceiling 'rose' down to the wall switch. The black is then permanently live and the red is referred to as 'switched live'. Or we can use black/white and mark the white as the switched live with say red tape or red nail polish a red sleeve etc.
Many thanks for the comments.
Add pictures here
βœ–

No - the earth conductor is bare. You add green/yellow sleeving at connection points. Or rather you *should* do.

To clarify, house cable is called twin and earth - it's got an overall outer of PVC which holds it all together.
--
*Re-elect nobody

βœ–

It may help Terry to know that what the Yanks call "Romex" is very similar to our twin-and-earth cable, apart from the colours used.
Add pictures here
βœ–

what is changing (and when)?
Add pictures here
βœ–

and bare copper.... and needs to be installed with a certificate - so no DIY installs unless you can get a cert. done.... ........ AIUI ............ Nick
Add pictures here
βœ–
Twin and Earth is currently Red, Blackand bare copper, and going to Blue, Brown and bare

Not all work will need building control approval. There is a list on the ODPM website.
Also note that unless you submit full plans for the work you will be under a 'building notice' and so there is no certificate issued either.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Ah... progress.
Dunno about the rest of the world, but I've always found red/black easier to remember than brown/blue.
When's the requirement for a certificate coming in?
Richard
Add pictures here
βœ–

not any more - in 3 phase work black will become a 'live' phase.
Add pictures here
βœ–

It's easy: Earth=soil=brown Live electricity is like electrical sparks = blue Neutral countries aren't on any side, so have more than one colour = yellow and green. Obvious really. (For the really stupid out there, note this is wrong, and I'm highlighting what a daft choice of colours they are. do not wire using these colours for these purposes)
--
Selah

Add pictures here
βœ–

Quite. This is more-or-less how I remember them, then remind myself it's an EU standard, so they're all bound to be wrong.
βœ–

It's my understanding that the twin and earth cabling colours are changing to be the same as the colours in Flex as of April this year.
The following link gives more details: http://www.fmb.org.uk/publications/masterbuilder/july03/29.asp
Personally, as a DIYer, I'm just going to use up exisiting stock and then presumably new purchases will be in the new colours.
There may be some bargins to be had from retailers getting rid of the current colours at the end of March though!
Phil
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@philandjo.co.uk (Big Phil) wrote in message

My guess is that given that the colour change is supposed to come in at the same time as the rule that all electrical work needs NICEIC certification, there will be a lot of folk out there in DIY-land buying a lifetime's supply of the old stuff... any installation work carried out using the new colours is almost by definition going to need approving, but if it's done using the old stuff who's going to be able to say when it was installed?!
David
(hmm - *thinks* - maybe there will be a market for drums of old-style cable on Ebay in a year or so!!)
Add pictures here
βœ–

building regulations changes are they?
I thought the building regulations changes were supposed to be implemented in April 2004 but are likely to be delayed. The wiring colour changes are much farther in the future than that, certainly as regards when the 'old' colours are no longer permissible.
--
Chris Green

Add pictures here
βœ–

I believe they all come in, close together. Try the IEE site to get up to minute info.
Dave

βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

The proposals are that the new wiring colours may be used from April 2004, and from April 2006 the current colour code will no longer be permitted. Of course for the next 40 years or more, no-one will have any idea what to expect in an old installation!
--
Paul

Add pictures here
βœ–