UK: Long range (25m+) PIR detector required

We have a large garden and need a PIR unit (or preferably all in one unit/light) that will cover to the bottom of the garden. All the units from the usual suspects (B&Q, RS etc) seem to have a range of no better than 15m whereas I require detection at about 25/30m. I can't move the sensor position closer to close down the detection range and I don't really want to start laying cables to a remote mounted sensor before anyone suggests that! Does anybody know of UK source for a PIR that will detect at these sort of distances?
TIA
Dave

I know this doesn't answer the question but - before you go ahead, a sensor so sensitive that it will pick up an intruder at 25m will pick up anything at all closer (birds, cats etc). You may have to put up with an inordinate number of false alarms.
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

at the bottom of the garden. Over a garden of that length a passive sensor will mean the light / alarm will be active all the time because of bushes / animals etc.
I have a similar problem and use a wirefree system with multiple PIR units. The radio range is over 50m with the switching unit in the loft. It also means I have the floodlight (a 150W unit) mounted very high so it only covers the required area.
A spectra system from friedland. The pir units can also trigger a libra wirefree doorbell.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id 534&ts049 http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id 307&ts049
Or.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SS6550.html http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Door_Bells_and_Chimes_Index/Door_Bell_1_Wire/index.html
On 15 Dec 2003 01:01:14 -0800, dave snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (dave) wrote:

Lawrence
usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk
(dave) wrote:

This sounds just like the thing I am looking for, I've got a bog standard Micromark spot with 12m PIR and you've guessed it - you need to be half way up the garden before the PIR switches the light on. You say it's a wire free system - how does it work? also my neighbours are in a similar boat - how do I ensure it does not switch on their lights?
TIA
Kev
Hi Dave,
If you use a high sensitivity sensor that will detect people at 30M it will detect leaves and bugs that are closer. You will end up with a lot of false alarms and have to turn the sensitivity down to stop them.
If you don't want to run a wire take a look at wireless PIR sensors like these..
http://www.maxtec.co.uk/wireless.html
http://www.techgroup.co.uk/security/products/cctv/pirs_and_wireless_pirs/TX500_RX16_PC1_PC4.htm
http://www.protectingpeople.co.uk/intruder/wireless /
Note Not all are battery powered.
Colin

Do you really need to cover the whole distance ? A standard unit can be turned upside down to make it detect at a longer distance, and the PIR itself can be angled to make the detection area further away by turning the lens cover upside down as well.
Looking at the pattern diagram on you instruction sheet, you should see that the detector is set into zones. These zones are set to look downward by the lens cover on the PIR, so when the cover is turned upside down, it make the zones look upward. This pattern combined with angling the PIR further down than you normally would, is enough to increase the range by a good few metres.
If it is possible to remove the detector from the light fitting, then give this method a try before going off to buy new systems.
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

I put a fluorescent light (2-9 watt tubes) on top of my chimney. I used a standard pir from a home store and turned it upside down. My back wall is 20 is meters from the light and the light is 10 meters off the ground. (roughly). My intention was go get movement from the wall to turn on the light. When the neighbors cat does his thing the light turns on every time. Just a cheap solution, try it, might help