UK - lock or key system recommendations

Simple house refurb, needs half-a-dozen or so keyed-alike external locks. Doesn't need mastering, alike is adequate (though even that's regarded as impractical voodoo by most of the UK). BS 3621 is probably going to be required by the insurers though. Doors are Victorian woodwork, not modern UPVC or three-point systems that would mandate a Euro cylinder.

What would the panel suggest as a keyway / brand to fit? Simple 5- lever mortices all round, or some design more modern? Euro cylinders, or something less common (and thus more expensive / possibly harder to support in the future).

Thanks

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Dunno, but I would find a local locksmith that understands how to do keyed-alike. (I can recommend Dent Security if you are near Cambridge).

Then ask them for their professional opinion.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Bristol. If I'm spending money, I spend it at Thornes on Old Market.

My suspicion is that "keyed alike" in the UK these days does mean a Euro cylinder and it's just not worth the expense or trouble for anyone to do it with levers. If loose levers are to be had for a lock mechanism that isn't permanently rivetted, I'll cheerfully do it myself.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Spouse fitted our doors (two locks each door) with keyed alike five lever mortices, they weren't difficult to find at the local hardware shop.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Never had any trouble getting a local lockie to relever a Chubb or similar - think it's normally been about another fiver (London prices) to get them keyed alike

You can probably get lever packs if your locksmith is co-operative ...

I'd contemplate doing it with Euro cylinders (or ovals, or whatever you fancy) simply because that would give you more flexibility with, say rim cylinders if you wanted to key them to pass as well in the future

John

Reply to
john.sabine

I'd go 5-lever minimum but if keyed-alike isn't a must (and I'd say it isn't) then a 7-lever and a Yale on the front and 5-lever on the side/ rear doors with auxilliary keyed Chubb deadbolts above and below.

One thing to remember:

Locks don't keep determined intruders out. They stop the honest ones from trying.

Reply to
TheLostPacket

Apart from the better quality of locks, and their subsequent longer life/ease of use for the owner, I dont really thing a burglar would be bothered in the slightest about whether the lock was 3 / 5 /7 lever.

I have been to 3 break-ins now, and all of them had 'forced entry'. The first had a wooden panel at the bottom kicked in, then the burglar climbed through there, the 2nd had had the upvc door barged/battered many times until it open, and the third had a double glazed window forced open by a jemmy.

None of these would have been prevented by a better lock, so the point being, the home-owner may think he is more secure with a good quality lock, but in real life, it makes no difference at all.

To the OP, go to a decent locksmith who will supply all you want. Alternatively, Screwfix do a range of locks that can be supplied keyed alike. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

However, it's worth bearing in mind that many insurance companies now insist on a certain spec for door locks, and won't entertain a claim if the doors are fitted with 'below spec' locks, probably even if entry hasn't been gained via a door.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

ISTR not meeting insurance requirements needn't disqualify a claim if the loss had nothing to do with the requirement - something to do with statute (or case law) trumping contract, and common sense.

Of course policies would never state that, I'd never recommend leaving requirements unmet, and I could be wrong. Just that, in the eventuality, it might be worth investigating.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

I've never come across an insurance company which insisted on a certain spec for door locks*. They mostly ask if they conform to BS whatever. When I bought my current house and was insuring it before I took possession (so didn't have any idea what the locks conformed to), I asked what difference it made -- it was £10 extra for not having window locks and door locks to BS whatever (and not having your insurance voided if you forgot to use the window locks every time you went out), so I went for the £10 extra and said the locks didn't conform. Yesterday, I was renegotiating a relative's insurance. Same question came up and again I asked what difference it made. In this case, none at all to the premium, so again I went with not having locks to relevant standards (and I've no idea if the house actually does or not).

So this would backup Alan's point that the quality of the locks is not a significant factor in most break-ins, at least from the insurance company's perspective.

*Maybe this depends on postcode?
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel