UK DIYers clueless about tools

Good news for me :-)

to be a problem to the people here :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

"The survey revealed that a whopping 84% of DIY enthusiasts admit to using kitchen cutlery to finish a job, while 43% use their fingernails and 24% use pennies. Some of those unable to find the right tool chose to use a nail file instead (14%), with 13% choosing to use shoes and

4% trying oven gloves.

Focus project manager Nasim Valli said: "The problem seems to be that most of us simply don't own the right DIY tools, or in some cases any at all. 48% of us own 10 or less tools, which is probably why some of us have resorted to using our toothbrushes and even saucepans!"

Damn!

NT

Reply to
NT

"Tool store in tool selling shocker!"

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I read that as "The survey revealed that a whopping 84% of DIY enthusiasts admit to using kitchen cutlery to finish a job, while 43% use their fingernails and 24% use penises."

Talk about a pointless non-story though. I guess they couldn't think of something useful to publish.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

size.

And I have sometimes used bulldog clips if I can't find the safeblock(tm) ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Which is alright in the privacy of your own home but you want to be

*very* careful buying cut to length chain in B&Q.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Calling Focus a "tool store" is like calling a school tuck shop a "supermarket". ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

When they day "DIY enthusiasts" do they perhaps mean "the first plebs we asked, regardless of whether they professed to know anything about DIY"?

Reply to
John Rumm

I use a saucepan with my wireless modem. I bet nobody can guess why!

Reply to
Matty F

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman" saying something like:

A "slotted screwdriver" sounds like a rare beast.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty F saying something like:

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Focusing it to increase distance? Shielding to reduce interference from next door?

Building a microwave deathray with 500 focused netgears?

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

None of those. The saucepan is sometimes put over the entire modem.

Reply to
Matty F

I have used kitchen knives (the bluntish sort) when I needed a wedge, I would be amongst the 84% if they asked me. Spoons are good for removing lids too.

Reply to
dennis

Making an omni-directional slot aerial out of the omni-directional aerial on the modem?

Reply to
dennis

To kill the wireless signal so the kids upstairs can't use it after bedtime?

When I decided to go all wired I was surprised there was no option for turning the wireless signal off. Even with all the various protective measures available set I was dubious as to whether some of the local students might have found it a challenge to hack.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Exactly. Regularly use blunt knives for opening tins.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

I have one, in common with lots of other people. For doing up Romford axle nuts.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

article,

Wrong! He's downstairs! When he's used up all my bandwidth and we are back on dialup speed, the modem seems to give precedence to the wireless connection ahead of the ethernet cable connection. So his Youtube download stops a quite small jpg from arriving in my machine. But not with a saucepan over the modem!

Reply to
Matty F

... and even saucepans!"

Maybe the problem is that Focus shopkeepers are confused about the difference between DIY and cookery? It would explain the utter lack of knowledge in their staff.

Reply to
pete