uk.d-i-y is going....

... only 24 unread posts this morning (overnight), a new low point :-(

Reply to
Phil

daisy...daisy....

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

What, I have not noticed much change here. Maybe everyone is busy with their angle grinders?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

And WD-40.

And car body filler.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bob Eager scribbled...

... sabotaging windmills...

Reply to
Artic

and checking our boilers

Reply to
newshound

My brain dead mother was going to spray her grandchilds bicycle brakes with WD40 to stop them squeaking:-)

Reply to
ARW

I checked mine. She's fine.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Are you saying it wouldn't have worked :-?

Don't worry about the safety issues, the product would have returned to congealed whale spunk in about 5mins flat so all would be well.

Reply to
fred

I've only heard that word four or five times in all the decades since I was a teenager. Thought it was local slang and/or had gone out of favour.

Reply to
Windmill

What, whale?

I think you must have moved to a more sheltered existence, AFAIAA it is still in common usage, obviously depending on the company.

Perhaps there's been a PC attempt to re-invent it cf. smeg head ref Red Dwarf, clearly an allusion to a smell cheesy nob end but try finding that definition on a search these days.

Australians seem to get very confused about such terms, see def 7:

fred

Are you an expert on congealed whale spunk?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It's amazing what you can find out on the Discovery channel.

Reply to
fred

ex-spurt?

Reply to
polygonum

Speaking of local slang - when I were young, we used to play "it" or "he" - prolly known as a game of tag.

If you wished to be temporarily immune (whilst tying a shoelace for example) you held up crossed fingers & shouted "feinights". Unsure of the spelling, but that's how it sounded.

I thought everyone said the same, but it appears regional.

What did you shout?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yeah same here - Three Bridges at the time.

Reply to
Tim Streater

East London in my case.

Any idea of the derivation?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

My North London born wife used this word in similar games, but I've never heard of it. I'm not really from anywhere much (father in the services, so we moved a lot) but I lived in Bristol longer than anywhere else.

Reply to
Huge