Tyre wear question

once the tyre is down to less than about 4mm the wet weather performance is seriously reduced, the TWI is like a last resort, 'look at me now' Yes, I understand that different countries do have different legal limits, I heard that a lot of used tyres are imported from Germany (?) because their limits and requirements as to replacement are very different to ours.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Winter tyres. They cease to be legally counted as winters at about 4mm tread, IIRC, so they get flogged off as part-worns by the container load to countries where we're only just starting to understand about winters...

Reply to
Adrian

Another factor is psychological. I've read that it's normal for most drivers to corner more aggressively to the right than to the left (right-hand drive contries). We feel more exposed to danger when our driver's door is on the outside of a corner.

Reply to
John Henderson

Not noticed that on any car I have owned. Mostly rotational tyres so swapping sides isn't an option without taking them off the rims.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But is showing signs of scrubbing.

Toe? Would normally wear the inside (toe out) or outside (toe in) but if something else is out as well, after a "kerbing incident", that could conviveably result in scrubbing over more of the tyre width.

I'd be inclined to take it to a place with a full alignment kit. That is for all four wheels in all 3 dimensions in relation to each other and key suspension mounting points on the bodywork. Also needs someone who knows how to use such kit as well...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Do you live in Milton Keynes?

Reply to
Huge

Kumho were fitted to my current car when I got it, bloody useless things on snow, couldn't get up even a slight hill. Hill? What hill? The road is more or less level.

Swapped to Veredstien Wintracs and it would go up snow covered 1:7 ... Hill? What hill? B-)

Just stateing brand isn't much use. Kumho may make a decent winter tyre but what I had wern't it, in fact they weren't that good in the wet either.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think its got worse as the roads are services and cleaned far less often these days. I know this to be true as a pedestrian, as all the scree type pebbles near the curb of some well used roads can be quite a slip hazard when crossing a road. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Actually, it depends a lot on where you do your driving.

If its country lanes, you do notice a lot more damage, at least, to nearside tyres

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

likely...

The majority of my drivng *is* rural ...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I take a 270 degree left slip road every day. The devil comes up in me and don't like to be overtaken. Other drivers probby the same sense, so it screeches...I know it's not doing any good for tyres, suspension and steering.

Reply to
johannes

rural is not the same as country lanes.

The crucial difference IME is how far into the verge you need to go to get past other cars. If you are almost permanently driving on the loose gravel at the edge it makes a difference. If the road is wide enough to stay clear it doesn't.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Strange. None of my many cars over even more years have worn tyres unevenly in this way. They have always worn out pretty evenly in axle pairs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Same here. And I travel a lot (i.e. to work every day) on rural roads with significant camber.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That probably because you are a townie

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Very true - so don't base everything on a clapped out 4x4.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

likely...

So that's three of us...

More to the point if there is traffic constantly driving along a bit of gravel at the side of the road that bit of gravel won't stay there very long... Less than half a dozen vehicles will have cleared tram tracks through freshly salted but dry roads.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice