Tyre shoes?

I wonder what would it take to get similar mileage from shoes? Gentler cornering? Inflated soles? Springs & shocks?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If we suggest 20,000 miles as usually being achievable by a tyre, that would work out at a marathon a day for over two years. Do you think that is a reasonable target for a pair of shoes? Do you actually need that much life from a sole? I suspect the rest of the show would not last long enough to find out if the sole could last 20,000 miles.

If longevity is all,

polygonum

Ditto with me.

My left heel tries to tilt inwards (pronation I believe is the correct term), and I can destroy cheap 'trainers' in about a month.

I always used to buy proper shoes with 'commando' soles and these were made out of a very hard rubber (?carbon rubber, like care tyres) which lasted well, supported by heel correctly, and could be replaced.

Clarks stopped selling this type of shoe in 1996 and it's a struggle to find anything as good for less than >£250. For heavy duty use I now get safety boots from Scats, but for general day-to-day wear, especially in summer they are too hot and heavy.

Reply to
Andrew

Even cheap shoes last 10 months for me. What do you do all day?

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Aresoles as thick as tyres?

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

That's no way to talk about Rodders and his Uncle!

Reply to
PeterC

My boots were rather worn after 500 or so miles; they're still good for a similar amount but, on the hills good cleats and heels are needed. A tyre is OK at about 3mm - boots need 6mm+

Reply to
PeterC

Maybe I don't need as much as 20,000 miles, but if they wear out in under a year, something is clearly wrong, as we can make car tyres last 20,000 miles.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

My shoes went from new (10mm) to 0mm in 3 months. This is not acceptable in the 21st century. There is no reason they can't use the same material as car tyres for the soles.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Spank me!

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Reply to
Uncle Peter

rote:

Maybe that's the problem, soles as tough as car tyres make shoes too hea= vy.

-- =

Two fish are in a tank. One says to the other, "I'll man the guns, you d= rive".

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Depends how much you use them. The point is they do less miles than car tyres, and there is no reason for this.

They wouldn't look any different.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Most people replace shoes regularly.

They have less weight on them and less torque applied, so it should be easier to make them last longer.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Women might replace them for fashion, but I wasn't thinking of women.

They must be decent boots or you don't walk far then, or on soft ground.

Of course it is, when you push back to propel yourself forwards, you rub the sole off.

Would a 1cm thick layer of tyre really be that stiff?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Then they only get replaced for wearing out.

Not me.

Tarmac is the worst.

Is too. The more torque your leg applies, the more sole rubs off.

Then my original question has been answered.

Reply to
Uncle Peter