Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems

I was not including the van in the number of punctures I have had! At least

4 a year in the van.

Steve says he has had 3 punctures in 500,000 miles. That's one every 166,667 miles. The average motorist does 12,000 miles a year and that would equate to only getting a puncture every 13.8 years.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I've destroyed a wheel and tyre in a pothole, and someone knifed the freelander tyre in a supermarket.

But I cant recall an actual puncture for well so long I don't know when it was.

I do vaguely remember a nail once years ago..

Apart from bikes and the lawnmower, I can scarcely ever remember changing a wheel in about 45 years of motoring. Usually slow enough to limp to the air hose, or the garage or tyre centre.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That is sort of my feeling of how many I have had.Less and less as tyres got better and I frequented less rubbish infested places.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I recently discovered that the LR Discovery has a feature that stops the transmission from doing a gear-change mid-cornering.

It does this by sensing the difference between the outer and inner wheels, and inhibiting the shifts whilst cornering is in progress.

-- Ron

Reply to
Ron Lowe

What, no gear-changes at all during any cornering, or just none during "enthusiastic" cornering?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Puncture or slow puncture? Same difference even if you can top the tyre up and get to the tyre centre.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Last week then.

Reply to
dennis

god you are a bore, dennis.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My mileage has varied somewhat over the years. From a few thousand a year in my parents' car after passing my test to around 50000 a year when I used to do a lot of miles visiting clients' sites. Now around

20000 a year. A fair bit, even now, is motorway driving.

It may well be, that living in the "leafy suburbs", with easy access to motorways, I'm not driving so much through the areas around industrial estates and such like, where you may find more debris.

Talking about debris, I got a reminder the other day of how important it is to secure everything in a load. While heading for the tip, the second of two cyclists ahead came off and knocked himself unconscious. He'd hit one of two kitchen drawers lying in the road and I presume they'd dropped off someone's trailer or open boot.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

If it's an actual puncture, I'd agree, but not if it's a corroded rim or leaky valve, both of which people commonly call a slow puncture - probably just 'cos they haven't identified what it actually is when they take it in!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I doubt if you can remember far enough back for anyone to bore you.

Reply to
dennis

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember McKevvy saying something like:

I can certainly tell that difference, yes. Only the other day I tried running at the recommended pressure of 30psi front and had to bump it back up to 32 after a few miles as it turned the handling soggy.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

yep. Standard race track pressures are in the sort of 45PSI mark for cars that run 26 on road..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher