Typical gas costs

Hi,

What are the typical prices per cufoot and m3 for gas from BG on domestic and small comercial contracts. I know it is one the bill, but for various reasons I only have the meter readings and not the paper work.

Thanks

Reply to
James Salisbury

Don't most suppliers now price gas per kWh? Granted with half a dozen units converions and fiddle factors you can get there ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Presumably too high. I heard on Radio 4 this morning (so it must be right) that BG have lost 8% of the market since increasing prices.

This demonstrates that at least some of their customers are not total suckers.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes,they do this to blind the public and its not only BG who do it..!

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

Really? I find it easier to compare costs if figures are quoted in kWh, so I can't see how it's meant to obfuscate. Unless you mean that the (simple) maths involved in converting cufoot and m3 to kWh is beyond some people, which is fair enough.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Historically you tend to expect gas to be charged by volume, but comparison of electricity/gas costs is easier when they are both in the same units - perhaps we could persuade them to charge electricity per ft^3

Reply to
Andy Burns

But that ignores the inconsistency in calorific value...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

No. Historically gas was sold by the therm, which is a unit of energy, not volume. A therm is 100,000 British thermal units (BTU or BThU, depending on the age of the reader[*]). There's a fixed conversion factor between kWh and therms - one therm is approximately 29.31 kWh.

Conversion from gas meter readings to chargeable energy units has always required use of a 'declared calorific value' figure, which varies depending on the exact constitution of the gas. 'Twas ever thus.

[*] When I wer'a lad, one had to write BThU for British thermal units. BTU meant Board of Trade Unit, which, very confusingly in the current context, is a synonym for kWh - it was the 'Unit' used for billing electricity. So in days of old (and not that long ago actually) you could have said correctly that 1 BTU = 3,412 BThU. But time passes and the both the Board of Trade and their unit have ceased to exist; BTU and BThU seem to have become synonymous.
Reply to
Andy Wade