Types of Kingspan

I'm insulating between and over rafters that are 6 inches deep (after battening) A 2 inch air gap and 4 inches of Kingspan between, and an inch of Kingspan over, on the inside. Followed by plasterboard and skim as these are rooms in the roof of a dormer bungalow.

The one inch Kingspan going over the top is foil-backed. Can anyone foresee any problems in using non-foil-backed Kingspan phenolic board between the rafters, rather than foil-backed board?

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

The only thing I'd mention is - try putting a lighted match to a little scrap of kingspan - I'd be very careful to ensure it's fully enclosed in plasterboard.

Reply to
dom

Different products have differing flammabilities. Some are extremely flammable, it has to be said. Others have a fire retardant, so it struggles to stay alight when you remove the ignition source.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The stuff I used - Celotex polyisocyanurate - was fireproof. We played a blowlamp on it to try and get it to light. It eventually charred, and went crumbly, but it never caught fire.

Foil backing is for vapor barrier purposes: if you have a seperate vapour barrier like foiled plasterboard its redundant.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, I'm putting 25mm foil-backed Kingspan over, to provide a vapour barrier and a reflective surface, with plasterboard and skim over that, so the stuff without foil is all shielded from the inside of the building. What I'm using was largely dictated by what Seconds and Co had available at the time I needed to order ;-)

I'll try setting fire to some of it tonight - not in situ, obviously.

Does anyone think there might be an issue with wet from the outside, if rain got past a dodgy tile?

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

I got a load of kingspan from seconds in kingsland..

I tested a bit and it didnt burn, but if ive read correctly here, some kinds of kingspan do burn, and some dont, so I must test it all.. is this so?

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

who/where are they please? (I've searched for them but seem to be having a senior megamoment as all I can find are Seconds & Co in Powys.)

Reply to
neverwas

Seconds & Co suppliers of, Kingspan, Insulation Boards, Presteigne. Suppliers of rigid foam insulation products for energy efficient buildings.

Seconds and Co, Presteigne Ind Estate, Presteigne, Powys, LD8 2UF Email: snipped-for-privacy@secondsandco.co.uk | Tel: 01544 260 501 | Fax: 01544 260 525 reg no. 2675431

yes thats them, kingsland is a few miles away, maybe over the border in herefordshire, but you dont need a passport maybe they started there then moved a few miles- i dont know sorry for confusion...

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

No. Te bits we 'burnt' had been in the building site getting wet for months.

They simply didn't get wet.

The few bits that had been under cover burnt just as poorly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks.

T'was dim of me not to have spotted they were adjacent; and even dimmer to have thought that there might just possibly be something so useful near me in Hackney.

Reply to
neverwas

The stuff I had stacked up outside under tarps got wet at the sides. This spread over the surface and had to be dried out in the sun. Thinking about it, it was probably mainly the fibrous paper that it was clad in (being non-foil-backed) that soaked up most of the water. I wouldn't swear that the board was completely dry though. The label on the packaging certainly has a "keep away from water" type label on it.

This might depend on the type of board - mine is phenolic.

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster